I've just seen... Page 405

When Chef came out, I wondered how they could make such an apparently weak storyline seem interesting. Having seen (a lot of*) it, I now know that they didn't bother trying. Ironically for a movie which starts with a frustrated chef being lambasted for sticking with the same old recipes, the film itself takes over-familiar themes and plays them out to their (apparently*) obvious, cloying conclusion. There were good performances, and it looked nice; but again, it's like a list of high quality ingredients being used unimaginatively, which is exactly the problem the critic flagged up at the start.

*I gave up with 15 minutes to go, because the ending was clearly going to be a cheese selection. And apparently it was.

nb Jurassic World seems to follow a tendency of asking questions about old movies, that couldn't be answered with the FX of the time.

What's the future of Skynet like in Terminator

What would the park look like if it opened in Jurrasic World

What happened in the massive Gallactic clone wars in Star Wars.

Where did the Xenomorphs actually come from in Alien.

The problem, is it's a totally mutton headed approach to story telling. Mystery, is fun and if you tell answers most people have guessed. You make films completely predictable...stop doing it Hollywood.

My son says Jurassic World is...........OK, just that.

I want to see it, it's a must really, but there has to be some emotional investment for me in a film so I'm a bit worried by Ben's verdict.

I watched Kingsman: The Secret Service last night and it was great.

Quick, witty script with plenty of action and actors who can act.

Hopefully they'll make some more.

K-PAX. I remember being more impressed with it when I first saw it a decade or so ago. But the banana eating is still good.

Does Kevin Spacey eat a banana suggestively? Errr

Quote: zooo @ 4th July 2015, 11:35 AM BST

Does Kevin Spacey eat a banana suggestively? Errr

No, he just chommels through one in a handful of bites, skin and all.

Yuck. Indigestion city.

Went to see the Kinks musical "Sunny Afternoon" on Saturday. Great play, great music.

I recognised one of the actors from being on TV recently. Then I was watching French Fields and I realised he was in this when he had hair. Philip Bird who has been in loads of TV things.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas.

Teary

Minions.

My expectations were quite low when I went to see Mission Impossible 'Rogue Nation', but I hadn't set them low enough for what proved to be a rather dull instalment of an increasingly dreary franchise. The first 5 minutes were good, but after that there were just too many scenes where the characters were either telling us the plot, or playing around with their computers. As for the action sequences, they're clearly going to be a bit tedious when you know that the hero/s are going to miraculously escape unharmed, so the only pleasure is in how ingeniously they are constructed, and too often they were hopelessly derivative. In fact, the film's real achievement is that it took 'formulaic' to a new level.

The best bits involved Simon Pegg, and it's a testament to his skills that he seems to be the 'go to' guy for this sort of role.

Man of Steel.

CGI, CGI, CGI, CGI, cliche, cliche cliche, CGI, CGI, CGI,CGI, cliche, cliche cliche, CGI, CGI, CGI,CGI, etc. etc. etc.

Why the f**k did they bother remaking this?

Why the f**k did you bother watching it?

nb if you want to amuse yourself imagine all the scenes with Kevin Costner as being done in faux Monty Python northern.

But daaaad I want to be a super hero.

Shut thy bloody mouth, us kents have always farmed bloody corn and thou shalt too!