What can sitcoms teach me about Britishness?

Which British sitcoms would help a newcomer to best understand the national character, identity and history?

Dad's Army.

In what way?

Are you writing an essay or something on this topic gardenshed?

Peep Show.

Quote: gardenshed @ August 7 2009, 4:35 PM BST

In what way?

In the way of understanding national character, identity and history.

Quote: Marc P @ August 7 2009, 4:20 PM BST

Dad's Army.

And Fawlty Towers.

Basil personifies the inner frustrations that 99% of us are too British to express.

You don't see many successful, well-adjusted main characters in Brit sitcoms. We tend to love the 'loser'.

Black Books

I agree with Marc P that Dad's Army is a good choice but only about a type of Englishness which is becoming as dead as Harry Patch. Examples of more recent sitcoms which show the English the way we are now are The Office (sad middle management types trying to look popular) and Saxondale (middle-aged going nowhere and obsessed with old rock bands). I know plenty of both of these types, sadly.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 7 2009, 4:38 PM BST

Are you writing an essay or something on this topic gardenshed?

I rather suspect that he is hoping we will be.

Quote: Timbo @ August 7 2009, 6:16 PM BST

I rather suspect that he is hoping we will be.

:D

Depends on where you live in the UK. Near me it would be the following -

Goodness Gracious Me
The Real McCoy
Afghanistan's Got Talent

Quote: Cheesehoven @ August 7 2009, 5:53 PM BST

I agree with Marc P that Dad's Army is a good choice but only about a type of Englishness which is becoming as dead as Harry Patch. Examples of more recent sitcoms which show the English the way we are now are The Office (sad middle management types trying to look popular) and Saxondale (middle-aged going nowhere and obsessed with old rock bands). I know plenty of both of these types, sadly.

Those are only reflective of a couple of specific types of people though, not our society. Dad's Army, despite the superficial element of its dating, is still essentially as accurate as ever.

I suppose the answer is 'Depends'

You'll get a different slant on Britishness from, say, Rising Damp and To the Manor Born.

(Interestingly the spell checker is suggesting Brutishness instead of Britishness ! I expect the Mayor of Riga may agree judging by his recent comments !)