The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 349

The FA have a good record of getting rid of managers just when things are looking up (Robson in 1990, Venables in 1996 and Hoddle in 1999). They also excel in not appointing the people's choice such as Clough and Redknapp though Keegan did get his chance before Euro2000.

They sacked Alf Ramsay in 1973 which, while understandable on some levels, in part led to England failing to qualify two further tornaments. After winning the World Cup they could've at least engineered a dignified exit.

Don Revie buggered off to the Middle East when the going got tough but you wonder what might have been if Ramsay had stayed. Poland finished third in 1974, Czechoslovakia won in 1976 and Italy came fourth in 1978. On each occasion England failed to qualify against those three teams either on goal difference, or for the want of a single goal.

We weren't that far away in the 70s. English sides won three European Cups, five UEFA/Fairs Cups and two Cup Winners' Cups during that decade. We also had five runners up during the same period. The FA has always been like this though ever since they declined to enter the World Cup in 1930 - just so arrogant.

Quote: Tuumble @ April 30 2012, 1:55 PM BST

The FA has always been like this though ever since they declined to enter the World Cup in 1930 - just so arrogant.

T'was ever thus with any English sport you care to name.

How dare those Colonials and Johnny Foreigners think they have the right to beat England?

Shame there could only be one loser tonight really . .

I don't want to blame the players, Fergie got it wrong tonight, big time, City deserved the win for setting out with the right attitude.

I was waiting for Chicken Dorito to come on to spoil my evening and surprised he didn't

So apparently Redknapp was never in the running/being toyed with cos Brooking still hates him from Hammers days and had a word in several ears. Which seems fair enough

Quote: Jamey @ April 30 2012, 10:22 PM BST

I don't want to blame the players, Fergie got it wrong tonight, big time, City deserved the win for setting out with the right attitude.

I'm a big admirer of Fergie, but I have to agree. In fact he's ballsed up selection and tactics in every massive game in the last couple of years, with tonight and last year's CL final being the stand-outs. Why leave out Valencia, and leave Rooney isolated as a result? Why persist with Park and Giggs who were doing nothing? And although after 60 mins I had to check that Scholes was on the pitch - he'd been that anonymous - for the next 10-15 mins he bossed the game as City dropped back and gave him space to pass. So why bring him off? It was seriously poor from Fergie, and Man U deserved to lose. City big favourites now, cos they aren't going to fail against QPR at home on the last day.

Di Matteo for WBA?

Fergie for Wolves? One last 'Hurrah' !

Quote: Badge @ May 1 2012, 12:23 AM BST

City big favourites now, cos they aren't going to fail against QPR at home on the last day.

Angry And also on behalf of Will Cam, Angry
It might happen.

'That' to everything else though. He f**ked up. The first I noticed of Scholes was him looking despairing when City scored. The most entertaining bit of that game was the managers doing their handbags routine.

Nothing from Chappers?

Must be pissed somewhere, dancing on tables singing the Birdy Song !

;)

How tough will that Newcastle game be for Man City.
Now that the big prize is tantalisingly close. If they don't score early they may get a bit nervous.

It was a shit game tonight though, for the neutral. Or for the football fan (City fans excepted).

Yeah.
I had it on but I only really paid attention to the last 15 minutes.
And even then not a lot of attention.

:P Woow loved City winning! total class outdid United, BLUE MOON !

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 1 2012, 12:47 AM BST

How tough will that Newcastle game be for Man City.

I think they'll beat us and we'll finish 6th.