The Weather Page 177

Quote: Ben @ 2nd May 2016, 9:42 PM BST

Supposed to be hitting 19C on Friday, so it's quite likely I'll be wearing a t-shirt.

That's cooler than our low temperatures at the moment. ;)

Smaaaaaaaaashing weather! Not a single cloud.

Electrical storms.

When the rains came yesterday, I thought great. I haven't been by the sea to listen to it for nearly two years and I could do with the sound of water. Then the lightning kept flashing immediately above this home on the hill. I could tell because when you close your eyes and there is lightning you are sort of aware that beyond your lids there is a lightning white. And there was thunder of course. Foxes were howling and the war generations were feeling miserable again about the 1941 bombings. I just said to myself "I really love this". I hadn't opened any of the curtains so I got into bed under my duvet and pretended I was a pirate in a dinghy on the high seas.

After a while - that moment when the bed has been up and down and side to side and there is the fresh smell of the Atlantic ocean in the air - it seemed a pity not to look at it so I disembarked and dragged two blankets into the living room. I opened the curtains there and watched all the elements feeling cosy in my arm chair before deciding that scenario one was better. I returned to the bedroom and fell asleep in what had become the yacht.

So it came as a surprise later when I switched on the TV and saw what happened at Wallington. The bit under the railway bridge along which we had travelled to the hospital. Rain up to to the roofs of cars and a story of a bloke having to brick himself out before swimming to the pavement. Luckily it was only after that when his vehicle completely submerged.That could have been us if it had happened two weeks ago. Dad can't even swim. But I reckon the Hindu taxi driver would have been a good swimmer and carried him to Sainsburys on his back. I would have tried to butterfly all the way to Tooting but could never have got as far as the Black Tower at Colliers Wood.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/07/motorists-flee-their-cars-as-torrential-rain-causes-flash-floods-in-london-5929840/

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th June 2016, 9:19 PM BST

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/07/motorists-flee-their-cars-as-torrential-rain-causes-flash-floods-in-london-5929840/

I hope no one was hurt by the flooding. Flash floods are so common in this part of Texas that low intersections are equipped with giant depth gauges so that drivers know how deep the water is, but people still think they can safely navigate their SUV through 2 or 3 feet of water and drown every year. If the crossing was marked by any sort of depth gauge, warning sign or barricade the authorities will bill the driver for the use of the fire trucks, helicopters and cranes that were used to (try to) rescue them.

Do your mobile phones sound alerts during severe weather advisories? It's no exaggeration to say that my phone has alerted me to flash flood warnings at least 15 times over the last 2 weeks -- usually in the dead of night. And then I have a weather radio that makes an awful racket until I shut it off. I need to program it so that it only warns me of tornadoes and other "important" disasters.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th June 2016, 10:49 PM BST

I hope no one was hurt by the flooding. Flash floods are so common in this part of Texas that low intersections are equipped with giant depth gauges so that drivers know how deep the water is, but people still think they can safely navigate their SUV through 2 or 3 feet of water and drown every year. If the crossing was marked by any sort of depth gauge, warning sign or barricade the authorities will bill the driver for the use of the fire trucks, helicopters and cranes that were used to (try to) rescue them.

Do your mobile phones sound alerts during severe weather advisories? It's no exaggeration to say that my phone has alerted me to flash flood warnings at least 15 times over the last 2 weeks -- usually in the dead of night. And then I have a weather radio that makes an awful racket until I shut it off. I need to program it so that it only warns me of tornadoes and other "important" disasters.

Hi daButt - many thanks for your comments but someone else will have to answer your question. I don't own a mobile phone and intend if we remain in the EU and ultimately abandon cash etc for phone finance or something to take my case to the European Court of Civil Rights. Genuinely. It's one of my plans for becoming a millyonaire.

We have alerts via email and mobile phone with regards to severe weather thanks to the RAC and also bush fires and back burning.

Strumpet

There's something funny going on as it was dry all day yesterday in Scotland (well, central Edinburgh, at least).

Storms were forecast by met office so I sat at my window all day waiting for heavens to open, but not a drop.

There must be a weather goblin messing about up there.

Eh?

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain etc.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 9th June 2016, 7:30 AM BST

There's something funny going on as it was dry all day yesterday in Scotland (well, central Edinburgh, at least).

Storms were forecast by met office so I sat at my window all day waiting for heavens to open, but not a drop.

There must be a weather goblin messing about up there.

Eh?

"It is ah, not raining here also" TH Radio Ham :D

Since Friday I've been on my annual pilgrimage to the wilds of Argyll and I can't believe the brilliant weather we've had. Spanish beaches? Who needs them? Didn't realise some of the rest of the country had flooding.

Proper "winter" day here today. It only got to 17C. No wind though so really wasn't that bad. It's 11pm now and 13c- Got my long pjs on and one light blanket and one thicker one, but still feeling a bit cold.

You can all laugh now.

Aw, it sounds nice and cosy!
Can't wait for winter.

(Only 6 months till Christmas...)

Quote: zooo @ 26th June 2016, 2:18 PM BST

Can't wait for winter.

(Only 6 months till Christmas...)

Sick Sick Sick

Still enjoying "winter". It is 11c tonight, although the feels like temp is closer to 8c. strangely though, I don't feel as cold as last night.

1st. of July, and what do we have? Bloody hailstones.