Andrew Dice Clay

His name just popped into my head the other day and I checked him out on YouTube. I remembered there was a lot of hype about him at the time, but never bothered to listen to him, just didn't fancy it.

But I was really surprised watching it recently as to how homophobic, racist and misogynistic he was. 22 years ago - this was funny? How was this ever broadcast?

It wasn't funny, look how friendly time has been to it in EVERYONE's opinions. Mind you Hicks, Kinison and the rest often veered off into being as bad.

The worst thing is watching the audience laughing along.

Some people have said he was being "ironic". Dont think the audience understood that.

Quote: Badhead @ May 4 2009, 11:12 PM BST

Some people have said he was being "ironic". Dont think the audience understood that.

So he's like Ricky Gervais?

...wait that's just as bad(In terms of stand-up).

I've seen the episode of Saturday Night Live he's appeared on in 1990, where Sinead O'Connor and Nora Dunn refused to appear if he was on the show, and toned down as he was for that show, he wasn't half bad in the sketches he was involved in.
Then again, I've never seen his standup so I can't really comment on that.

He was on this years The (Celebrity) Apprentice in the US, he's still a massive cock and went within the first couple of episodes.

All you need to know, right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9C6a1K0nI

An Andrew Dice Clay comeback?! That's all we need.

Why was he so popular?

Why do so many people hold him up as being some sort of edgy ani cenorship person rather than just a sexist, racist and homophobic twat?

Why are there so many women at his gigs laughing at the sexist jokes?

Why is there so much respect for him?

Is he just big in America? Can't say I've ever seen him.

I remember him having a bit part in Michael Mann's Crime Story. Pity he was an arse, as Dice Man (I assume ripped off from the novel) is a great name.

Quote: Badhead @ May 5 2009, 3:12 AM BST

Like Jim Davidson this is not a comic troubled by the duality of meaning

He's still about. I think he had some 'The Osbournes' style show on US TV a few years back. Crops up on radio every now and then.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 16 2010, 6:52 PM BST

Is he just big in America? Can't say I've ever seen him.

He was in Channel 4's first '100 greatest standups' thing. Don't think he got in the second one.

I only heard of him through US radio a few years back.

Seen him in couple of films, Casual Sex? and as the bouncer at the club in Pretty In Pink, thought he was great in that

Quote: sardines @ 5th May 2009, 3:06 AM BST

Mind you Hicks... often veered off into being as bad.

Huh?

Quote: Badhead @ 16th July 2010, 5:55 PM BST

Why are there so many women at his gigs laughing at the sexist jokes?

Same reason lots of hyper-sexist rappers have lots of female fans. I don't really get it myself. Mind you I saw Dice Clay's gay routine with a gay person who pissed himself. Who knows?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 7th May 2009, 7:33 PM BST

An Andrew Dice Clay comeback?! That's all we need.

It's your lucky day. At the bargainous price of a hundred bucks... http://www.andrewdiceclayofficial.com/events

I actually laugh a lot at Clay and then kinda wish I hadn't. He's funny for all the wrong reasons. And no, I don't think there's any irony in it.
When he dies there'll be six billion tributes from comics saying, 'He was what got me into comedy in the first place.'