Current radio comedy Page 80

Claire in the Community continues to be the best sitcom on the radio by an embarrassing distance. Ridiculous that the telly people have never taken it up, it is precisely the sort of broad-outreach mainstream comedy that that have lost the knack of doing.

Quote: Timbo @ January 19 2012, 10:36 PM GMT

Claire in the Community continues to be the best sitcom on the radio by an embarrassing distance. Ridiculous that the telly people have never taken it up, it is precisely the sort of broad-outreach mainstream comedy that that have lost the knack of doing.

Agreed. It's a confident sitcom that delivers solid laughs again and again and again.

Quote: chipolata @ January 19 2012, 10:51 PM GMT

Agreed. It's a confident sitcom that delivers solid laughs again and again and again.

Indeed. The first two minutes (a mature man recounting what sounds like a war story, with the punch line from Clare that most men his age don't go to Glastonbury) was funnier than anything in Tuesday's or Wednesday's equivalents. The characters may be entirely synthetic, but they are at least consistent and believable. You get the impression it was funny on the page of the first draft, and got better by being properly edited.

Clare in the Community. It's obviously me. Yes, there were a couple of inspired lines in there but the problem I have with the set up is that Clare is such a fundamentally dislikeable and manipulative individual that I just don't care what happens to her. Also, Narly (sp?). Would the writers dare to portray a black or Asian character in such a stereotypical way.
Anyway, I'll go back to my cave and contimnue to moan about the dearth of funny stuff.

Quote: KLRiley @ January 20 2012, 9:28 AM GMT

Clare in the Community. It's obviously me. Yes, there were a couple of inspired lines in there but the problem I have with the set up is that Clare is such a fundamentally dislikeable and manipulative individual that I just don't care what happens to her. Also, Narly (sp?). Would the writers dare to portray a black or Asian character in such a stereotypical way.
Anyway, I'll go back to my cave and contimnue to moan about the dearth of funny stuff.

Well said KL, I thought I was in a minority of one so I was keeping shush.

Whenever I listen to it I always hope that Clare's partner (I forget his name as he's such a drip) would tear her off a strip and walk out, why on Earth does he stay with such an objectionable person.

I'm afraid I just don't get the, seemingly, universal praise that this gets.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 20 2012, 9:48 AM GMT

Well said KL, I thought I was in a minority of one so I was keeping shush.

All right, Cowards, don't get another of your persecution complexes. We had enough of that nonsense with The Hurt Locker. ;)

Lots of people don't like Clare in the Community, it's no big deal. I just happen to think it's a good nuts and bolts sitcom that manages to deliver a good few laughs. And has done for quite a few years. And, along with Ed Readon's Week, is probably the most successful Radio 4 sitcom currently running.

I never understand when people criticise sitcom characters for being unlikeable. Sitcom characters almost always deeply flawed (and just ocassionally redeemed), that is where the jokes come from. Is Claire any worse than Fawlty, Rigsby, Brent, Garnett, Bucket etc...? Or do people just have a problem with a young lead female character who is not an adorable fluffy, sexy bunny? You know like, Zooey whatsherface in New Girl?

:D Well said! So agree women cannot be aggressive sarcastic etc. all the values men have!

Quote: Timbo @ January 20 2012, 11:03 AM GMT

I never understand when people criticise sitcom characters for being unlikeable. Sitcom characters almost always deeply flawed (and just ocassionally redeemed), that is where the jokes come from. Is Claire any worse than Fawlty, Rigsby, Brent, Garnett, Bucket etc...? Or do people just have a problem with a young lead female character who is not an adorable fluffy, sexy bunny? You know like, Zooey whatsherface in New Girl?

It's very rare that I enjoy a sitcom where I don't "like" the character in some way, but that doesn't mean that the characters aren't deeply flawed e.g. Fletch(er) in Porridge is a burglar but he's charismatic and funny.

I have no problems with the character being female, I didn't like "The Brittas Empire" because I detested the main character, hated "Episodes" because I didn't give a monkey's what happened to the characters, again because they were deeply unlikeable.

I think, in the main, the audience has to be rooting for the character, even with someone as despicable and tragic as David Brent or Basil Fawlty you are willing them to win, in the same way that 99% of people want Wile Coyote to catch that smug bastard, Roadrunner.

Quote: dellas @ January 20 2012, 11:32 AM GMT

:D Well said! So agree women cannot be aggressive sarcastic etc. all the values men have!

I didn't say that Clare was unlikeable as a woman. I said she was unlikeable.
I did have a bit of rant on another thread regarding writing for women and the stereotyping to which they are subjected.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 20 2012, 12:39 PM GMT

It's very rare that I enjoy a sitcom where I don't "like" the character in some way, but that doesn't mean that the characters aren't deeply flawed e.g. Fletch(er) in Porridge is a burglar but he's charismatic and funny.

I have no problems with the character being female, I didn't like "The Brittas Empire" because I detested the main character, hated "Episodes" because I didn't give a monkey's what happened to the characters, again because they were deeply unlikeable.

I think, in the main, the audience has to be rooting for the character, even with someone as despicable and tragic as David Brent or Basil Fawlty you are willing them to win, in the same way that 99% of people want Wile Coyote to catch that smug bastard, Roadrunner.

This.

I think, in the main, the audience has to be rooting for the character

Nah, we're obviously quite happy to laugh at a complete twat, as this show proves.
I certainly like it, and I think apart from the clever gags, ingenious scripts and great performances, part of its appeal is that mocking The Left doesn't happen that much; so despite it being apparently a very conventional sitcom, it has an edge of originality.

"The Brittas Empire" because I detested the main character, hated "Episodes" because I didn't give a monkey's what happened to the characters, again because they were deeply unlikeable.

Gordon Brittas was a classic sitcom character, with a core of decency that, like with Mainwaring, inspired a grudging loyalty from his subordinates.

Episodes made the error of thnking its characters were likeable when they were not.

Quote: Nogget @ January 20 2012, 1:56 PM GMT

...the clever gags, ingenious scripts and great performances...

Which is partly why I probably get crosser at it than the rest of the dross out there. (Note to R4 Commissioner. Please stop with the dross. There are some things which even a big name can't save.) I loved the Offa Dykes gag. I think you're right about the set up. The left doesn't often get targeted. And the performances are mostly great. But I think Clare is a tool, (which may be the point) but one which irritates the life out of me as did Brittas rather than a tool that is fighting circumstances as with Basil Fawlty. It is nothing to do with the character being female.

This is the liveliest the "Current radio comedy" thread has ever been.

Quote: KLRiley @ January 20 2012, 4:19 PM GMT

It is nothing to do with the character being female.

Chauvinist pig!