A. P. Herbert's Misleading Cases

Anyone remember this?

Alistair Sim as Justice Swallow and Roy Dotrice as Albert Haddock.

Don't suspose anyone has an old video anywhere?

;)

Yes, I do remember it vaguely from when I was a very small lad - but no, I fear I don't have either an old video or wax cylinder. Had a quick hunt on YouTube but there was nowt.

I remember this series really well and was quite shocked to read that most of the episodes are lost. Surely some of those involved have private copies that can be unearthed for DVD even if the BBC did get rid of the originals. Alastair Sim was sheer genius but so were the scripts, so if all else fails couldn't the BBC get working on a remake with the cast made up of a selection from Rik Mayall, Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese (was in one of the originals), Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and Adrian Edmonson? Most of them have done court scenes in the past and clearly enjoy that sort of comedy. There is enough talent there to do justice to a remake. Howard Goodall could write a suitable theme tune and I can add it in as another claim to fame for thinking of it. Not only would it reach a new generation but also have great commercial potential with a DVD and exports.

Definitely! And I have been looking for a copy of this for years. The most memorable episode was when he argued that paying his taxes by putting a cheque in a bottle and floating it down the Thames was perfectly valid, given that the Thames had been a means of communication, including by royalty, for a thousand years!

Quote: writeus @ October 24 2013, 12:00 AM BST

Definitely! And I have been looking for a copy of this for years. The most memorable episode was when he argued that paying his taxes by putting a cheque in a bottle and floating it down the Thames was perfectly valid, given that the Thames had been a means of communication, including by royalty, for a thousand years!

Hi and welcome!

Nothing seems to exist unfortunately and I have tried the best sources.

It could be remade I suppose but how on earth do you replace the main actors, particularly Alastair Sim?

Four of the nineteen episodes survive. I believe a number more exist as audio only. It'd be very nice to see them released.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th October 2013, 4:07 AM BST

Four of the nineteen episodes survive. I believe a number more exist as audio only. It'd be very nice to see them released.

OK, we're one year later, but I'd just like to say that 4 audio episodes have made it to the YouTubes. :) Good quality, too. :)

Apparently there is one more audio-only episode, but it hasn't made it there yet.