The Site

Did anyone see this pilot last night? I wasn't impressed. The character mix wasn't great, everyone seemed to be stupid bar a few and I didn't think a lot of things were true to the world they created.

Paul Kaye needs his own sitcom, he keeps on playing sub-characters and steals the show every time.

Yes, Kaye needs something new. And for Perfect World to get its DVD release. But I'm going off-topic.

Stylistically it was live-action Family Guy, with the bizarre cutaways (clock-faced man, gypsy fundamentalists) and more-or-less nonsensical storyline.

Overall I thought it showed some promise, but would need quite a bit of attention to be a full series.

Never knew it was on. :(

I stopped watching 5 mintues in. It also had the annoying guy from Admin in, which made it worse. I may try watching it again but I doubt it.

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2009, 1:00 PM GMT

Yes, Kaye needs something new. And for Perfect World to get its DVD release. But I'm going off-topic.

I missed this, I hope they do release it.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ February 1 2009, 1:40 PM GMT

It also had the annoying guy from Admin in

How can you single out just one?

I thought this was a good effort and would be happy to see it turn into a series. It was better than 90% of the other comedies BBC Three has broadcast recently IMHO (which admittedly isn't a big compliment, but still). The weird and daft cut-aways were fun, and the cast were all good (including Chris Hannon, he wasn't annoying in this was he?!?).

That said, there were some painful cliches that shouldn't have been allowed in the script. e.g. all the village being thick. And the less said about the bestiality storyline the better.

Overall though: not bad.

Quote: Nil Putters @ February 1 2009, 1:01 PM GMT

Never knew it was on.

Never miss a thing: https://www.comedy.co.uk/schedule/ :)

Watched this this morning. It was okay. Not sure the lead guy can carry a sitcom (sorry, but got to be honest!) but his part is basically one of just stating what's on screen and spelling out the jokes for us idiot viewers ("BUT IT'S A PIG!!!") who can't figure out that sort of thing for ourselves. (His character in Admin was by far the most irritating of the cast -- hopefully it's just the characters he gets, rather than a reflection of himself!)

It was okay and had it's moments. A few of the lines were funny but I didn't really engage with the characters enough and didn't empathise with any of them, so wouldn't be bothered if I saw any of a series or not. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

To echo Nil's view: I didn't know it was on, if 'Nuts hadn't pointed it out. It was hardly publicisd well; though it didn't really have enough 'nob' jokes for BBC Three's 'new demographic', I suppose...

Dan

Just watched this and thought it was pretty decent, well worth getting a full series.

I agree about Paul Kaye, the man has been brilliant in pretty much everything he has done. He was great in Pulling especially.

Quote: Spagett @ February 4 2009, 3:19 PM GMT

I agree about Paul Kaye, the man has been brilliant in pretty much everything he has done.

Though I hate that MTV sweary character he does. Not. Funny.

Mike Strutter.

I would have thought you'd love him, what with the social awkwardness and embarrassment of what he says. :)