Cowards Page 5

I thought the coin dropping sketch was really good, and liked the daughter getting married one. But its a bit uneven, I guess they are trying new things. Not the worst sketch show that's been on recently.

Quote: Lee Henman @ February 4 2009, 2:24 PM GMT

Well for instance the guy being mauled to death by a bear, complete with highly-realistic facial wounds. And the sinister people in the shop who terrorised the guy for dropping his change. The League Of Gentlemen used to to "dark" too but it was tempered with over-the-top, big character performances that really balanced it out. Cowards deals with similar material but it's played much too poe-faced for me.

I dunno, I still just don't get that dark feel from it. Earlier on this thread, Jam was mentioned, which equally baffled me.

I think it's dark. It's one of those shows which, had I stumbled on it as a kid, would have f**ked me right up.

But luckily I am all jaded now.

Quote: zooo @ February 4 2009, 5:06 PM GMT

I think it's dark. It's one of those shows which, had I stumbled on it as a kid, would have f**ked me right up.

Hmm. I'm certainly missing something then. Maybe I'm just stupid.

Nah, maybe we're oversensitive!

The Russian roulette sketch in episode one was a bit dark though, no?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 4 2009, 5:10 PM GMT

Hmm. I'm certainly missing something then. Maybe I'm just stupid.

I'm with stupid. I don't find it dark. Yes that roulette sketch was dark but the point was how peer pressure can get out of hand. None of the characters are dark. They just twist situations a bit.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 4 2009, 5:41 PM GMT

None of the characters are dark.

The ones who threw a spaz about dropping some change weren't exactly all rainbows and kittens.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 4 2009, 5:41 PM GMT

I don't find it dark. Yes that roulette sketch was dark

I wasn't saying the characters specifically were dark. Just that the show is a bit dark.
So, we agree, I think...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2009, 1:48 PM GMT

Yeah, low key. The style of thing our own Stuart Laws might do.

Someone recommended that I watch this as it reminded them of our stuff. And I must say I loved it, especially the Michael Crawford morgue sketch

Quote: Aaron @ February 4 2009, 6:00 PM GMT

The ones who threw a spaz about dropping some change weren't exactly all rainbows and kittens.

They were just exaggerated, I wouldn't say they were dark like League of Gentlemen. They didn't start a little fire in the shop and dance around it flashing their boobs. ;)

Quote: Chopz @ February 5 2009, 11:41 AM GMT

Someone recommended that I watch this as it reminded them of our stuff. And I must say I loved it, especially the Michael Crawford morgue sketch

That's a good shout, it is very much in your style. :)

I liked this. Not as good as the radio series but still nicely played. Not all the sketches are hits, admittedly, though I loved the bear one. That was fantastic.

Dan

Hi there.

Please can someone help me, and put me out of my misery? What was the brief snippet of a song played at the start of the canoeing sketch? It was just a couple of lines before it faded. I would be so grateful if anyone knows what it was.

Thanks,

Tony.

Do you know which episode it's in, Tony?

I totally missed this show and this thread. Any idea if it will be repeated?

Quote: Chappers @ August 14 2009, 10:01 AM BST

I totally missed this show and this thread. Any idea if it will be repeated?

Episode 2 is currently on iPlayer.