Cowards Page 3

I thought it was all right. I liked the caravan sketch, the poem, and the Richard Madeley song.

I did not dislike this, but I felt a lot of the time they had a funny idea which was played out at enormous length without being built upon.

I quite liked it. Not as good as their Radio 4 show, but still funny.

I think it's only 3 episodes long, this series (As was The Thick Of It -- technically two mini-series of three episodes each), so I think it's a BBC Four 'money-saver' idea. However, the DVD better not be just three eps or at least be brimming with extras if it is!

Re: the music behind the Richard Madeley sketch. I think Tom Basden plays his own music, so would be surprised if he'd taken the music from somewhere else (though of course he might have). It seemed quite generic though. I'm sure I've heard that song before: he must have played it previously on Mark Watson Makes The World Substantially Better or something.

Dan

He played it on Comedy Showcase, I think it was.

Quote: swerytd @ January 26 2009, 9:58 AM GMT

I quite liked it. Not as good as their Radio 4 show, but still funny.

I think it's only 3 episodes long, this series (As was The Thick Of It -- technically two mini-series of three episodes each), so I think it's a BBC Four 'money-saver' idea. However, the DVD better not be just three eps or at least be brimming with extras if it is!

Re: the music behind the Richard Madeley sketch. I think Tom Basden plays his own music, so would be surprised if he'd taken the music from somewhere else (though of course he might have). It seemed quite generic though. I'm sure I've heard that song before: he must have played it previously on Mark Watson Makes The World Substantially Better or something.

Dan

I wasn't talking about the Richard Madeley sketch. The music I was referring to was on the poem/conveyer belt sketch. Do you know what music that was?

I thought it the best new sketch show in years.
A brilliant body blow to blokey banter!

Quote: pitseleh 12 @ January 26 2009, 3:41 PM GMT

I wasn't talking about the Richard Madeley sketch. The music I was referring to was on the poem/conveyer belt sketch. Do you know what music that was?

Ah, sorry. And, no, sorry!

Dan

Great show, it's my favourite sketch show comedy

I'm going to be honest and I apologize to anyone involved in the show who might be reading this thread - but I thought it was for the most part boring. The judges were a dim highlight. It felt a bit like the League Of Gents's quieter, unfunnier brother. But I suspect the L.O.G, feel was down to the enormously talented Steve Bendelack's directing.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting really sick of these low-key, joke-free comedies. I'm depressed enough. I want something big and fun and colourful.

And everyone seems to love the Madeley Song - why, exactly? Can anyone imagine the skinning this would suffer if posted in Critique:

I've just seen Richard Madeley on a bus,
I've just seen Richard Madeley on a bus,
I've just seen Richard Madeley,
I've just seen Richard Madeley on a bus.

I've just seen Richard Madeley in a lift,
I've just seen Richard Madeley in a lift,
I've just seen Richard Madeley in a lift.

I've just seen Richard Madeley in a shop,
I've just seen Richard Madeley in a shop,
I've just seen Richard Madeley in a shop.

What do you think the chances are of that?
What do you think the odds are on that,
One in ten, one in a hundred,
One in a thousand, one in a million?
One in one as I am Judy Finnegan.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood. I'll be watching it again. Like I say I quite liked the judges.

I struggle to extract a chuckle from this show. I preferred them on radio. But I do enjoy identifying various parts of Glasgow - invariably rain-soaked parts of Glasgow.

Bo.

More or less ditto what Perry said. This whole understated fashion is terribly tiresome. The show has its moments, but on the whole was pretty laugh-free really.

Quote: Aaron @ January 28 2009, 12:39 AM GMT

This whole understated fashion is terribly tiresome.

I'm with you on that. Where's Les Dennis when you need him?*

* that was a joke.

I actually enjoyed the second episode more. I kind of gave in to their style of comedy and liked most of it.

Another great episode.
I love the High Court Judges on a fag break:

I didn't study Law ... Yeah. Started as a juror and worked my way up ... Takes f**king ages.

I liked the caravan bits but that was it, I couldn't watch a full episode as I bore easily. I'm probably doing it now.