Cowards Page 2

I haven't seen this yet. I went to see their pilot for Radio 4 and wasn't hugely impressed (although all their mates who seen them at Edinburgh etc. were laughing their tits off). I was more impressed by the radio show, as they'd either found a good script editor or a producer who knew how to edit.

I tend to find them a bit long-winded but I'll definitely watch the TV show as there is obviously some talent there, I just think it needs refining.

I enjoyed it a lot too. Well acted I thought. I also loved the caravan... there's got to be a sitcom there somewhere!

Also, I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one still trying to work out what rhymes with 'loyalty card'! I thought I was being thick.

Haha!

Maybe 'loyalty cock' is an oft used term we've somehow missed...

:S

I got (or thought) that that sketch was just about him feeling a twat cos he'd badly mis-heard her?

Wasn't that keen on the show overall.
There were some good ones, the pet shop and the judges, but I agree with Matt that alot of the sketches were just nothing - like the guy calling the girl over to the computer. Why was that funny?

Sorry to join in a day too late, but I just watched this last night.

I agree that it was all a bit low-key in tone, but after all these over-the-top silly sketch shows that are doing the rounds it was a breath of fresh air. I love The Peter Serafinowicz Show, but it was nice to see a show that didn't depend too heavily on impersonating celebrities or, to be fair, dressing up that much (besides the judges and Henry VIII obviously). What struck me most is that this was obviously written by a small, core writing team or performers, as oppose to the generic, mass-written sketch shows that are popular at the moment (Rush Hour, The Wrong Door, etc.). This gave the whole thing an real identity that a lot of sketch shows sorely lack.

The Richard Madeley song was the highlight for me - we'd seen the same guy on a BBC Four show about comedy songs and thought he was amazing.

However, I didn't get the poem about the guy at the checkout either. Is this the same guy who was doing poems at the end of Charlie Brooker? I didn't find them funny either.

Yes, the Richard Madeley song was great, with a wonderful punchline in at the end. In terms of a relation with Jam, I suppose you could argue that some sketches are mildly distrubing - such as the man who wanted to be Mick Hucknall's PA. I'll be watching the next episode.

For those interested, a DVD of the series will be coming out later in the year.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 22 2009, 9:28 AM GMT

Yes, the Richard Madeley song was great, with a wonderful punchline in at the end. In terms of a relation with Jam, I suppose you could argue that some sketches are mildly distrubing - such as the man who wanted to be Mick Hucknall's PA.

I didn't find the Hucknall one at all disturbing. A bit rubbish, but not disturbing. The Madeley song, perhaps more the animation style, reminded me of The Boosh.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 22 2009, 9:28 AM GMT

For those interested, a DVD of the series will be coming out later in the year.

Of course it is. Does anyone else get the feeling that in a couple of year's time, all shows will start premiering on DVD first before going to TV? Futurama has already started doing this.

I'm not complaining - Cowards is showing real promise, but aren't the BBC jumping the gun a little bit? Give the show a chance to gain a fanbase first before you judge it on DVD sales (and you know they will).

Isn't it only four episodes long this show? It's not bad though. I'm looking forward to Alice Lowes Sketch show pilot on Friday, Lifespam.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 22 2009, 9:34 AM GMT

I'm looking forward to Alice Lowes Sketch show pilot on Friday, Lifespam.

Me too, but I'm being cautious as it got a terrible write-up. Then again, though, the amount of bad reviews I've read of shows that turned out to be ace should clue me in.

If anyone is in any doubt of a) her comedy writing ability or b) her hotness - check out this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTr7C-kaOc

Quote: glaikit @ January 22 2009, 9:21 AM GMT

However, I didn't get the poem about the guy at the checkout either. Is this the same guy who was doing poems at the end of Charlie Brooker? I didn't find them funny either.

Yes that is the same guy. I think some writers over-rate 'random' humour.

It was okay. No great shakes.

Does anyone know where the music is from in the sketch "poem" where the guy whips out his dick and puts it on the conveyer belt? I have heard it before. perhaps from a recent hollywood movie?

It was sooooo funny.

I saw this and I thought it was funny most of the time. Not bad at all.