Rising Damp The Movie - good or bad?

I've just seen the film version of Rising Damp on DVD - I saw it first five years ago. Some people think it's good, other think it's terrible - I fall into the latter category, believing it to be an artistic disaster. Apparently, Leonard Rossiter was uncomfortable with unfamiliar material and preferred to do the film only if it was based on the TV series. I personally think it fails for several reasons.

Firstly and as already mentioned, the film lifted episodes almost completely and simply re-enacted them, albeit without Richard Beckinsale. Secondly, the house is a real one, and as it was shot on location it isn't claustrophobic. Quite the reverse actually, the place is very spacious.

Thirdly, I didn't think Christopher Strauli is that good an actor - although, maybe that was because Leonard Rossister was making the shooting a bit hard for him as he thought Strauli should play the role just as Beckinsale had. According to Strauli, it was the most unhappy time in all his career.

So what does everyone else think? Is it a good film or a bad one?

Yes, wasn't too impressed, but did like Rigsby getting flattened at the rugby match. Not a bad theme 'Rising Damp Damp It's Rising up the Walls'

Bad.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 5 2009, 7:27 PM GMT

Not a bad theme 'Rising Damp Damp It's Rising up the Walls'

Yeah, I like that theme too! Strange, as it's really quite cheesy. The lyrics were written by the show's writer Eric Chappell and released under the name "The Rigsbyettes".

Bad.

Christopher Strauli...you know how you hear names you haven't heard for 20-odd years...

Whatever happened to him?

Quote: Huge Bear @ January 6 2009, 11:46 AM GMT

Christopher Strauli...you know how you hear names you haven't heard for 20-odd years...

http://www.strauli.co.uk/

Bad. Some of the jokes fall so flat in the filmic medium it's like watching someone die on screen. At certain points you can hear Richard Beckinsale turn over in his grave.

Poor, too much recycled material and the tone was all wrong.

Quote: Huge Bear @ January 6 2009, 11:46 AM GMT

I had a quick look at his acting CV on his website, and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me he does not have the Rising Damp film listed. Was it that much of a put off?

Correction - it is mentioned in his TV and film tab. Doh!

Def.

Must have been. He specifically mentions it as being horrible in at least one location.

Recently bought the box set containing the film. After the second series it goes downhill. The film is pretty bad, just rehashing the jokes from the series

I'm never that keen on Denholm Eliot, he seems exactly the same in everything you see him in.

Quote: paul toft @ January 8 2009, 4:56 PM GMT

Recently bought the box set containing the film. After the second series it goes downhill. The film is pretty bad, just rehashing the jokes from the series

I've got that too. Series 3's a bit patchy, but Series 4 is the best in my opinion, although I know I'm in the minority. There's some good self-contained episodes like "Pink Carnations" and "Great Expectations", although "Under the Influence" is very silly.

Saw this for first time today. Wasn't that impressed, but the Derek Griffiths cameo wasn't bad. The dream bit was surreal with Rigsby in leathers and Miss Jones as a cheerleader (I think). Best bit for me was the closing scene which says a lot. Huh?. Just looked up, thought so Rigsby's dream sequence was a Grease pastiche Huh?