Carry On... Page 4

Well it certainly was for me as i'm a huge admirer of Sid James work and think he truly was a comedy icon.

Did he do any writing or anything? Or was he an actor only.

No, no writing. Just a f**king leg-end.

I don't really see it. But I'll just piss off out of the thread. :)

I've just heard so many stories over the years about his supposed womanising.

Some say he did like the women. others say he was never like the characters he played.

But the drama on TV made him look like quite a creep to me.

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 12:57 AM BST

I don't really see it. But I'll just piss off out of the thread. :)

He was brilliant. He's not that widely known outisde the Carry Ons and Bless This House, but did SO much, and had perfect comic timing. A true legend, a great actor, and quite possibly my favourite comedy personality.

Quote: Richard Wells @ July 14 2008, 1:00 AM BST

But the drama on TV made him look like quite a creep to me.

Remember that out of his long and varied life, and all of those movies, this only focussed on one relationship with one person over the final 9 years of life. As an already married man, I'm not sure that it could have portrayed him as anything other than a creep really?

Quote: Timbo @ July 13 2008, 10:40 PM BST

The early ones are a bit of a nothing, but Cabby was okay, and they then had a terrific run with Jack, Spying, Cleo, Cowboy and Screaming. Don't Lose Your Head is rough, but Follow That Camel is fine, and then they hit form again with Doctor, before surpassing themselves with Up the Khyber. Carry on Camping was fine, but after that it is downhill all the way, with a surprising late rally with Abroad.

This is exactly right. The films that Timbo lists are the most inspired and contain the most original and parodic material. Screaming is actually quite witty.

Valeria (Fenella Fielding) on hearing from Harry H Corbett that his name is Inspector Bung – Bung? What a fitting name.

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 1:04 AM BST

He was brilliant. He's not that widely known outisde the Carry Ons and Bless This House,

Hancock's Half Hour?

Oh yeah! I should watch him in that.
Presumably in that he might not do that laugh and feel up girls' tits constantly.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 14 2008, 1:10 AM BST

Hancock's Half Hour?

I knew someone would mention that. In all honesty though, I was just too lazy to type it out.

You should have put HHH. And then everyone would have said 'What's HHH?' and then you would have had to type it out anyway.

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 1:11 AM BST

Oh yeah! I should watch him in that.
Presumably in that he might not do that laugh and feel up girls' tits constantly.

You need to watch him in far more than just Hancock's Half Hour if you think that's all he does!

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 1:12 AM BST

You should have put HHH. And then everyone would have said 'What's HHH?' and then you would have had to type it out anyway.

LOL. Yes. Quite true.

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 1:13 AM BST

You need to watch him in far more than just Hancock's Half Hour if you think that's all he does!

:)
I know, I know.

If I had just a bit more money I'd buy you the Bless This House box set for starters!

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 12:55 AM BST

Did he do any writing or anything? Or was he an actor only.

I don't think any of the classic line-up did any writing.They were just brilliant comic actors. That's the problem nowadays. The writers want to get involved.

Take note JS.