Parents Of The Band

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/parents_of_the_band/

Entertaining - yes.
Funny - no.

Firstly I love 96 Tears.

Right then. I guess this is more about the parents being pushy and the kids just wanting to have fun.

There were a few too knowing old pop rock references that I - as a musical snob - would understand but were a bit too smug.

I'm not sure who the joke is going to be on. Hopefully the parents.

There were some jokes in this that made me laugh but a lot of it was really cringe worthy especially the kids talking about fit girls. Also parents attitude to their kids being in a band has been done far better already this week in Lead Balloon.

Oh and the theme tune and opening and closing credits...just no!

I think this is when middle-aged parents are obviously middle-aged.

I quite liked this.

I thought it was a solid opening episode. The only real spark was in the relationship between Jimmy Nail and his mate but still, there was enough to think it could be a decent series.

Better than I expected, sterling work by the writer in establishing the set up and eleven regular characters in the opening episode and still leaving room for a bit of plot. Light on big laughs, but that may come as we get to know the characters better. I'll give it a couple more weeks at any rate.

Quote: Timbo @ November 30 2008, 12:30 AM GMT

Better than I expected, sterling work by the writer in establishing the set up and eleven regular characters in the opening episode and still leaving room for a bit of plot. Light on big laughs, but that may come as we get to know the characters better. I'll give it a couple more weeks at any rate.

My thoughts exactly ;)

When the theme tune to this struck up, I feared for the worse. It is, however, nowhere near as piss awful as the previews suggested.

Actually quite entertaining and well played by a decent cast. I'd rather watch this than Clone.

Certainly worth sticking with.

(And it's written by David Cummings who co-wrote 'Happiness', which I seem to recall being rather good).

I just didn't get this at all. Why is it billed as a sitcom? I thought some of the content was unsuitable for before 9pm too - mainly the dialogue of the teenagers.

It just didn't seem right for the time slot - too subtle and just not funny enough. Though it might still appeal to the My Family/After You've Gone type audience as it had plenty of stereotypes and signposted and cliched gags.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 1 2008, 11:00 AM GMT

I just didn't get this at all. Why is it billed as a sitcom? I thought some of the content was unsuitable for before 9pm too - mainly the dialogue of the teenagers.

I thought the dialogue of the teenagers was very unrealistic. Yet if they'd reflected how teenagers really spoke - f**k this, c**t that, wank off etc - it would have had to go out post midnight.

Quote: chipolata @ December 1 2008, 11:03 AM GMT

I thought the dialogue of the teenagers was very unrealistic. Yet if they'd reflected how teenagers really spoke - f**k this, c**t that, wank off etc - it would have had to go out post midnight.

Yes, completely unrealistic. Though some of this show's audience will be very young. Whilst innuendo and a lot stuff will go over their heads, there was one scene where the boys were talking about sex that I know young children would take notice of.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 1 2008, 11:09 AM GMT

Yes, completely unrealistic. Though some of this show's audience will be very young. Whilst innuendo and a lot stuff will go over their heads, there was one scene where the boys were talking about sex that I know young children would take notice of.

Maybe, I can't imagine many youngsters watching this, though. Like most mainstream BBC sitcoms, it seems terribly old fashioned and a bit fuddy-duddy.

Quote: chipolata @ December 1 2008, 11:10 AM GMT

Maybe, I can't imagine many youngsters watching this, though. Like most mainstream BBC sitcoms, it seems terribly old fashioned and a bit fuddy-duddy.

I'm talking about under-10s.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 1 2008, 11:00 AM GMT

Though it might still appeal to the My Family/After You've Gone type audience as it had plenty of stereotypes and signposted and cliched gags.

Do you understand comedy or audiences in the slightest? After the above comment, I'm betting quite strongly on a "no".