Frankie Boyle Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ November 26 2008, 5:55 PM GMT

I watched this at the weekend. You'll see a few things you've heard before, but most is new, original material. If you like him on MTW etc, you won't be disappointed.

But what if you don't like him on MTW? or breathing . . . or pulling smug faces . . . or talking like a Simpsons teenager . . . would I enjoy it?
I was gutted to hear that he was hosting the new series of Live at the Apollo, fortunately it appears to only be the first show . . . unfortunately it also had Rich Hall on it . . . conflictions . . .

I should probably clarify my previous statement in that I'm a huge fan of Rich Hall (and Otis Lee Crenshaw), but would have prefered not to have been subjected to Smugthew Smugintyre in the same show.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ November 30 2008, 2:05 AM GMT

I had a man crush on Frankie Boyle

Teary

I'm gutted to hear that Frankie Boyle is crap at stand up, I was going to get his DVD for christmas but I think I will stick with the old faithful, The Big Yin, he's never let me down yet.

Edited by Aaron.

I think I'll ask for the Steptoe & Son complete box set instead, only £29.99 at the moment. So disappointed to hear that Frankie Boyle was so poor, alarm bells started ringing for me when I watched Live At The Apollo and saw the same material.

To be fair to someone like Russell Howard, I watched him at the Apollo and his material was all original, I had a new found respect for him after that as he really worked hard on stage too, although seemed a bit eager to quickly do his material and get off.

Frankie has some great lines on MTW, I suspect his best stuff on that show comes off the top of his head i.e. the Richard Hammond joke, "Stop!!! Hammer time", the joke about Harry Potter being HIV positive etc. I really liked Frankie when I first started watching that show, but I do tire of him a little now, overall I tend to prefer Hugh Dennis who is consistantly funny and has a range of talent i.e. impressions, voices, he can act etc.

£29.99? bargain

I know!

I know you all read the Sun so it's pointless telling you. But if you don't Frankie had a whole page of his views in today's copy.

Talking of female students at Cambridge wearing burkas to their graduation ceremony he said "It would certainly cut down on the cost of a graduation photgraph if students could all just use a copy of the same picture."

he also said "I've always been in favour of the full-length burka. who doesn't like them? it's like a sexual scratchcard."

His style isn't really my cup of tea.

I read the interview with him in Time Out and there was an editors note correcting him which I thought was funny! He'd said the Queen should pay her f**king taxes and Time Out had in brackets next to it that she had been doing so since 1993.

Two recent Frankie Boyle pieces I thought were good

Opinion: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/comedy/article6899806.ece

Interview: http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/film-tv-features/how-frankie-boyle-came-back-from-the-dead-1.929979

I thought MTW would have been rubbish without him, but we'll see now. Will his new C4 show be any good? I have a feeling he's going to have a lot of new material for that. This thing about TV material getting used for his stand up shows - I think pretty much every stand up does that, don't they? only Boyle does a weekly TV show where he's pretty much the star, and not many others do, so we don't get to see their whole act, week in week out. I'm pretty sure it's very demanding on a performer's material.

And I totally agree with him about the news items they're not allowed to do on MTW. What is the point of a topical satire show if you're going to ban the biggest bits?? Is it because the BBC want to reserve these for HIGNFY, which doesn't have such sanctions on material? Why not just change one of the regulars for him on that, eg. Hislop, he's not as funny as Boyle and is a lot more pompous. But he suits the BBC somehow, and I don't see them changing him or Merton. Whereas I don't think Boyle suits the BBC, in honesty, so I'm looking forward to his new C4 show.

Frankie Boyle = Jerry Sadowitz lite.

I really don't think Frankie likes himself very much.

That makes at least two of us.

Mind you, Mock The Week often reads as a comprehensive list of comedians I don't much care for.

For what it's worth (nothing) I don't think he should have done the joke about the swimmer. It was needlessly unpleasant, but then that seems to be Frankie's schtick. Overall, I don't really care for Mock the Week either. It's one of these "Look at us, aren't we dark! Aren't we near the knuckle!" shows.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 4 2009, 8:19 AM GMT

Frankie Boyle = Jerry Sadowitz lite.

Except Boyle is much wiitier and sharper and more mainstream than Sado, IMO. I don't really see the connection, but I suppose you can't blame JS for feeling aggrieved that someone with a similarish act (he's a Scottish foul mouthed comedian) has taken away some of his audience/livelihood - I'm sorry but I can't see that FB has copied JS or nicked his material. What do you think Boyle was doing, sitting down watching Jerry Sadowitz one night when he decided to pinch his whole act and become a stand up comedian? Boyle was doing his own stuff long before he probably even heard of Sado. And I think he's as close in his act to JS as JS is to Conolly, it's the Glaswegian accent, that's all. And all Glaweagians are ascerbic/sarcastic, that's what they are like. You could accuse Sado and Ross Noble of both copying the hair of Billy Connoly! There is no similarity in my eyes, Boyle has worked hard, is naturally funny and desrves his spot in the mainstream much more than Sadowitz.