I read the news today oh boy! Page 681

Quote: DaButt @ February 22 2012, 12:20 PM GMT

Your second source said that there were 38 murders in the United States over the course of 3 years. One murder per month in a nation of 311 million people isn't even close to a 1 in 12 murder rate unless the transgender population is only a handful of people.

Well there's definitely less than 311 million, whole lot less, so the figure could well be reasonably close.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 9:15 AM GMT

Comparatively, Christians are under-persecuted.

Christians have been shorrendously persecuted throughout history. Most usually by other Christians. It has been a remarkably schismatic and bloodthirsty religion.

Quote: Timbo @ February 22 2012, 12:29 PM GMT

Christians have been shorrendously persecuted throughout history. Most usually by other Christians. It has been a remarkably schismatic and bloodthirsty religion.

Is it groundhog day? ;)

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:32 PM GMT

Is it groundhog day? ;)

No idea I could not be arsed to read all of this incredibly tedious debate. Back to the kiddie in the dress with the attention seeking parents, is anyone seriously suggesting that a five year old boy should have his willy lopped off because he likes playing with dolls?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 22 2012, 12:23 PM GMT

Well there's definitely less than 311 million, whole lot less, so the figure could well be reasonably close.

Some quick Googling says that 0.3% of the U.S. population is transgender: that's 933,000 people. One death per month in the 60 years of the average adult life is 720 murders. 720 murders in a population of 933,000 people is a 1 in 1295 murder rate, thus the original claim of 1 in 12 is exaggerated by a factor of 100.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:21 PM GMT

Well I doubt they plucked the figures out of thin air.

A lot of pressure groups 'utilise' statistics to further their own agendas. Usually for every survey, there is another survey contradicting the findings of the first.

How do you think the bogus smoking ban got through in the first place - bloody UK health Nazis and their second hand smoke bullcrap.

Quote: Timbo @ February 22 2012, 12:35 PM GMT

is anyone seriously suggesting that a five year old boy should have his willy lopped off because he likes playing with dolls?

No, I think we should lop off his head.

Quote: DaButt @ February 22 2012, 12:38 PM GMT

720 murders in a population of 933,000 people is a 1 in 1295 murder rate, thus the original claim of 1 in 12 is exaggerated by a factor of 100.

Your murderous mentals are letting America down, Dabutt!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 12:41 PM GMT

How do you think the bogus smoking ban got through in the first place - bloody UK health Nazis and their second hand smoke bullcrap.

Yeah, those bloody Health Nazis thinking about the well being of others! *shakes fist!* Whistling nnocently

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ February 22 2012, 12:43 PM GMT

..and now they're persecuting the animists of Amazonia.

It's not about clearing land for "farms to feed the people". It's about the price of wood: some exotic rainforest trees are worth $1,000,000 plus. That's per tree.

The animists should fight back - oh wait, they're stuck in the Stone Age. The society with the greatest technology wins. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Quote: DaButt @ February 22 2012, 12:38 PM GMT

Some quick Googling says that 0.3% of the U.S. population is transgender: that's 933,000 people. One death per month in the 60 years of the average adult life is 720 murders. 720 murders in a population of 933,000 people is a 1 in 1295 murder rate, thus the original claim of 1 in 12 is exaggerated by a factor of 100.

Even that's not so easy a figure to determine - UCLA study says 0.3% too but that's fewer than 700,000. But transgender is also not the same as transsexual, so that also messes with figures. I wouldn't stake my life on the 1 in 12 figure either, but I suspect that if you only included transsexual people it would certainly be close.

Perhaps an easy test is to see who on BCG is a transexual or has murdered a transexual?

Sootyj is 60% the answer is no to both of those for his good self

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 22 2012, 12:44 PM GMT

Yeah, those bloody Health Nazis thinking about the well being of others! *shakes fist!* Whistling nnocently

Really? So you won't kick up a fuss when Cameron lumps another 50p on the cost of a pint at the pub? Because, you know, the Government cares.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 12:47 PM GMT

Perhaps an easy test is to see who on BCG is a transexual or has murdered a transexual?

Sootyj is 60% the answer is no to both of those for his good self

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 12:46 PM GMT

The animists should fight back - oh wait, they're stuck in the Stone Age. The society with the greatest technology wins. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

^ wrong thread?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 12:49 PM GMT

Really? So you won't kick up a fuss when Cameron lumps another 50p on the cost of a pint at the pub? Because, you know, the Government cares.

Well, apart from fights and so on,if you drink, it only damages your own body, so that's self inflicted. I'm not anti-smoking, but I don't see what's so wrong about you poor sugar lumps having to stand outside to have a fag!

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:47 PM GMT

Even that's not so easy a figure to determine - UCLA study says 0.3% too but that's fewer than 700,000.

0.3% of 311 million is never going to be less than 700,000.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:50 PM GMT

^ wrong thread?

Yep, but I was responding to Stylee.