I read the news today oh boy! Page 676

Re: The Trangendered

Aside from people like Roo's friend with a pre-existing medical condition, I really don't think surgery is the answer.

I think a lot of the time, the desire to be the opposite sex is a mental condition. Most of the people who go in for the swap are usually clinically depressed. They claim they are depressed because they're not the correct gender, but even after having the op, they're still mostly clinically depressed.

There are all sorts of weird and wonderful conditions - including the desire to cut off an arm or a leg. We would treat these people with drugs and psychotherapy to deter the removal of a limb, yet we seem to accept the needs of the transgendered at face value.

Yes, it's a diverse and colourful world full of strange and wacky people with the right to choose, but I'm wondering if this need to be inclusive to all lifestyles is detrimental to the underlying factors.

I think the BCG has a new Voice of reason.

The U.S. Supreme Court is going to tackle the tricky issue of affirmative action. Hopefully it's found to be unconstitutional.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/us/justices-to-hear-case-on-affirmative-action-in-higher-education.html

Quote: Rooface @ February 21 2012, 4:55 PM GMT

It's interesting that they have chosen this man to be Del boy....

As opposed to this man:

Quote: Timbo @ February 21 2012, 11:23 PM GMT

As opposed to this man:

I've never seen that before! Laughing out loud

Maybe the scenes involving the new versions of Del and the Driscoll Brothers will look something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfn-zJaIpU&feature=related

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 21 2012, 11:02 PM GMT

Aside from people like Roo's friend with a pre-existing medical condition, I really don't think surgery is the answer.

I think a lot of the time, the desire to be the opposite sex is a mental condition. Most of the people who go in for the swap are usually clinically depressed. They claim they are depressed because they're not the correct gender, but even after having the op, they're still mostly clinically depressed.

There are all sorts of weird and wonderful conditions - including the desire to cut off an arm or a leg. We would treat these people with drugs and psychotherapy to deter the removal of a limb, yet we seem to accept the needs of the transgendered at face value.

Yes, it's a diverse and colourful world full of strange and wacky people with the right to choose, but I'm wondering if this need to be inclusive to all lifestyles is detrimental to the underlying factors.

It's quite obvious you don't know any trans people and I think that in general, if you're not queer, don't know any queer people, and have never read any queer theory, then your opinion on gender reallocation is irrelevant at best. I don't want a debate, I just couldn't let that stand.

I don't think any of us can really imagine what it's like, even when we do know someone going through it. I do believe a person can be born the wrong gender.

It's also worth remembering that not so long ago, homosexuality was thought to be a mental illness.

This is my 11111st post BTW.

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

In Libya most of the RAF work was done by 30-40 year old Tornadoes.

Have they reformed? Not still doing Telstar are they?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 21 2012, 11:02 PM GMT

Wouldn't you be clinically depressed if you were born the wrong sex - and then had to go through incredibly painful and drawn out surgery to correct it?

Yes I do know one.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:03 AM GMT

It's quite obvious you don't know any trans people and I think that in general, if you're not queer, don't know any queer people, and have never read any queer theory, then your opinion on gender reallocation is irrelevant at best. I don't want a debate, I just couldn't let that stand.

No debate involved, please keep making unfounded assumptions about me, it will help you make friends quickly.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 12:47 AM GMT

No debate involved, please keep making unfounded assumptions about me, it will help you make friends quickly.

If you promise to stop saying stupid things I promise to stop pointing at them.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 12:51 AM GMT

If you promise to stop saying stupid things I promise to stop pointing at them.

My views and opinions are completely different from your own. Just because it's not in line with your personal agenda and I disagree with you often, doesn't give you carte blanche to summise all of my observations as 'stupid'.

If you are going to engage in debate or criticise something I've written, then please do. Making off hand and insulting comments just proves a lack of social skills and manners.

Wave

What can society possibly do that is appropriate for young trans people? It seems evil to commit someone to going through puberty in an alien body, but then, it would be so wrong to accept consent from someone we consider a child and are supposed to protect. Is this one of those rare cases where there actually is no reasonable answer?

Play nice children or Chappers will pelt you with his Werthers.

Quote: AJGO @ February 22 2012, 1:21 AM GMT

What can society possibly do that is appropriate for young trans people? It seems evil to commit someone to going through puberty in an alien body, but then, it would be so wrong to accept consent from someone we consider a child and are supposed to protect. Is this one of those rare cases where there actually is no reasonable answer?

As a society, we limit the choices children can make and impose a minimum age for making any life changing decisions, possibly for some very good reasons.

Every young person has insecurities, doubts and identity issues, without life experience to fall back on, regretable decisions could be made rashly.

Unlike homosexuality, where a switch between sexual partners is physically easy to adjust to, major surgery, counselling and hormone treatments are involved with a gender reassignment. It is an expensive and lengthy process and not something I'd like to see a child subjected to without very good medical reasons.