I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,731

http://news.stv.tv/north/318594-public-backs-lynx-uk-trust-survey-to-introduce-cats-to-scotland/

Thanks Herc for highlighting this story.

A survey suggests that the lynx could be reintroduced to Scotland. The UK already have Lynx Peace and Lynx Recover. Maybe we should call it Lynx Austerity.

It will smell much like the rest of the Lynx family, but even cheaper.

There are wild-cats where I live. Not a joke btw. I have seen them pull down birds in flight (pigeons mainly) and evidence of their kills are to be seen everywhere (in woods and such)
A few weeks ago I saw an amazing thing: a hawk had caught a pigeon and was busily plucking the feathers of it when a wildcat struck from nowhere and got both for dinner.
I spoke to an expert and he says they are ferral cats that have gone wild. They are as big as a medium sized dog and I wouldn't go near them.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th April 2015, 3:55 PM BST

Thank you DeButt

You've made him French. That's no way to thank someone.

I know nothing about the European lynx, but their smaller cousin, the bobcat, ranges all over the United States. They seldom attack people; when they do, they are often elderly or sick -- sometimes with rabies. That said, I doubt one would pass up an infant human if the opportunity arose. They're also fond of eating birds, bunnies and family pets, so I doubt they'd stick to attacking only deer.

In this state they're considered varmints and they can be hunted freely.

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 4:04 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th April 2015, 4:04 PM BST

There are wild-cats where I live. Not a joke btw. I have seen them pull down birds in flight (pigeons mainly) and evidence of their kills are to be seen everywhere (in woods and such)
A few weeks ago I saw an amazing thing: a hawk had caught a pigeon and was busily plucking the feathers of it when a wildcat struck from nowhere and got both for dinner.
I spoke to an expert and he says they are ferral cats that have gone wild. They are as big as a medium sized dog and I wouldn't go near them.

Precisely, and they want to introduce a natural predator.

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 4:04 PM BST

I'm sure he said he was French Canadian - gives him a certain je ne se qua.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th April 2015, 4:24 PM BST

I'm sure he said he was French Canadian - gives him a certain je ne se qua.

The only thing worse than being French would be being French and Canadian.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th April 2015, 4:06 PM BST

I know nothing about the European lynx, but their smaller cousin, the bobcat, ranges all over the United States. They seldom attack people; when they do, they are often elderly or sick -- sometimes with rabies. That said, I doubt one would pass up an infant human if the opportunity arose. They're also fond of eating birds, bunnies and family pets, so I doubt they'd stick to attacking only deer.

In this state they're considered varmints and they can be hunted freely.

So, some twat wants to introduce a larger cousin of the bobcat with all that entails as you have laid out here. Words fail me. No they don't - For F**k's sake!! Angry

Thank you for your insightful input Monsieur DaButt

You have made the lynx very sad.

I would still be way more worried about that dog you're walking biting the face off your kids than a cat, who is probably hiding in the trees keeping well away from you noisy, annoying humans. But that's just me!

They accidentally reintroduced wild boars all over the UK when they escaped from farms.

Too date to the best of my knowledge, they haven't killed anyone.

There's been a few cases of people getting injured running, from 1000 pounds of mobile bacon.

I don't see what's wrong with a slightly wilder and more dangerous fauna.

I mean even in India tigers don't eat that many people, maybe they don't like Indian food?

The U.S. has a huge deer population. We also have wolves, bobcats, coyotes, bears and mountain lions, but they aren't enough to keep the population in check -- even with hundreds of thousands of deer-vehicle collisions that kill 200 people and cause more than a billion dollars in property damage every year. There's only one way to keep the deer population at an acceptable level: scientifically managed hunting.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th April 2015, 4:57 PM BST

They accidentally reintroduced wild boars all over the UK when they escaped from farms.

Too date to the best of my knowledge, they haven't killed anyone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2899069/Man-dies-crash-wild-boar-motorway-locals-complain-exploding-population-animals-causing-havoc-Cotswolds.html

Come onthat's a wild animal on the road, switch wild boar for unarmed black teenager and you'll see just how racist you sound.

There's that Alladale estate and other places where rewilding is taking place. You can camp in some of them like being on safari. HGT asked what next? Some want bears. I am not saying that what I am going to suggest next applies to Alladale or any existing venture. But in general terms I'm thinking how there is a tension, isn't there, between the SNP policy/outlook and vast estates, some of which are tax free. There's also the windmill energy thing and even fracking. Those things can be imposed.

One thing that is absolutely certain is a lot of perimeter fencing would be a safety requirement for the introduction of many of these animals. That safeguards the estates and keeps the public, ie ramblers, out. So in some instances, bears, beavers, boars and lynx will be brought in for those reasons. It will mean the end of any walking and turn rural Scotland into a jungle. But Inverness etc will still get the occasional escapee so kids living in suburbs Culloden Moor way may not need their teddies anymore.

Quote: AndyGWiz @ 27th April 2015, 4:03 PM BST

Thanks Herc for highlighting this story.

A survey suggests that the lynx could be reintroduced to Scotland.

AND East Anglia, where I live!

Probably a good idea in Scotland to keep the wild haggis down that is over-running the glens I understand and eating all the heather, but we only have bunnies here.

Oh, and tree rats with fluffy tails.

Lynx?

What half-hearted nonsense!
The national animal of both Scotland and England I believe is the Lion.
Thus, what we need are lions. Proper ones. With big fangs.

For one, they won't worry the chicken farmers in the manner Lynx might.

Then again, I believe Scotland is also often represented by a unicorn, which might make for an interesting breeding challenge, no doubt involving that whale and some glue.

But my vote is still for lions. Especially if once in a while one such half-starved creature might stray into one of the parliaments in an effort to stave off starvation.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 27th April 2015, 10:36 PM BST

Lynx?

What half-hearted nonsense!
The national animal of both Scotland and England I believe is the Lion.
Thus, what we need are lions. Proper ones. With big fangs.

For one, they won't worry the chicken farmers in the manner Lynx might.

Then again, I believe Scotland is also often represented by a unicorn, which might make for an interesting breeding challenge, no doubt involving that whale and some glue.

But my vote is still for lions. Especially if once in a while one such half-starved creature might stray into one of the parliaments in an effort to stave off starvation.

So when will they release wild Dragons in Wales?