Putters vs Lab #52: Movie Science 1.1

INT. LAB.
Dr Tang mops up blood as Professor Bear examines a pair of wellies, smoke rising from the insides.

Professor Bear, dropping the wellies out of shot.
Welcome! to another spectacular experiment, here, in Lab 52! Today we'll be testing movie science! With these two transporter pods!

Two pods sit in the middle of the Experiment Room.

Professor Bear cont.
We'll be examining the science behind the classic Jeff Goldblum flick, The Fly. Of course, we can't expose any of our colleagues to this sort of danger, so some of our test subj.. uh, friends have stepped forward as volunteers.

INT. 1ST POD
A nervous looking snake in a tie and a snail, sat in a pool of it's own slime, wait inside.

INT. LAB.
Professor Bear
We're hoping to create a snake-sized snail with a venomous bite.

He pauses, looks to the side in close-up, and shrugs.

Professor Bear.
Is everything ready to go, Science Cat?

Science Cat sleeps.

Professor Bear
Ok! Let science commence!

He pushes forward a huge lever and the pods spring into life.

INT. EXPERIMENT ROOM
A large green light flashes on top the first pod, before stopping and being replaced by a flashing green light on the second pod. The door to the pod swings open and a thick smoke cloud rises from inside. Through the mist we see the shape of a person moving toward the door. Two sweaty hands emerge, grasping the edges of the pod with it's chubby fingers.

INT. LAB.
Professor Bear and Dr Tang stand, Science Cat sitting beside them. They're all wearing Blues Brothers style shades. All gasp as the shape pulls itself from the pod.

INT. EXPERIMENT ROOM
A shifty looking Piers Morgan stands, sweating. He looks at the three scientists, who look back in wonder. His eyes wander to the Experiment Room door. He shifts slightly.

INT. LAB.
Professor Bears paw slams a giant red button and the experiment room is engulfed in flames. The Professor addresses the camera with the experiment room behind him. A flaming figure bangs the glass, before sliding down out of sight.

Professor Bear
A dark day for scienceā€¦ Anyway, next week we'll be fitting the lab's Smart Car with a nuclear-fuelled power cell and, hopefully, travelling back to last Tuesday, chilli day in the cafeteria. Science out.

Hmmm, not sure Piers Morgan as a punchline is best suited to this animal world reality. Y'know what I mean? Any topical references will date it quickly. Whereas classic movie spoofs such as The Fly, we know can hold up.

I don't think it's a bad sketch, it's just that I think a character based joke from one of these characters would work better in an animation like this.

I think its quite a good punchline and all and you've developed quite a convincing world.

Think is the characters are a little flat and it lacks jokes enroute to the the punchline.

Quote: Lee @ August 12 2012, 10:09 PM BST

Hmmm, not sure Piers Morgan as a punchline is best suited to this animal world reality. Y'know what I mean? Any topical references will date it quickly. Whereas classic movie spoofs such as The Fly, we know can hold up.

I don't think it's a bad sketch, it's just that I think a character based joke from one of these characters would work better in an animation like this.

Yeah, wasn't sure about it, which was why I did the other version too. :)

Thanks for looking, Lee.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 10:13 PM BST

I think its quite a good punchline and all and you've developed quite a convincing world.

Think is the characters are a little flat and it lacks jokes enroute to the the punchline.

Ok, thanks for looking sootyj.

Yeh the Sketch start and End is really solid. (obviously)

Characters are as deep as they need to be to push the gags forward.

As for this sketch it's pretty good, explain a little to much. But I think with some work would be a nice one.

Quote: Gavin @ August 12 2012, 11:20 PM BST

As for this sketch it's pretty good, explain a little to much. But I think with some work would be a nice one.

Thanks Gav, that's mainly for animation purposes, there's not actually that much voice work, which would bring the time down. ;)

Not saying you're animating it. :D