Twenty Twelve - Series 2 Page 2

For me, this is just too light. Hardly anything to really laugh at.

And my biggest problem is that there is never anything at stake or any consequences for their actions. Sure the Olympics might be a disaster but what will be the consequences for these people? How will it impact them if they get it wrong? We never see this.

In The Office we see David Brent continuously have showdowns with his various bosses or he gets challenged by his co-workers. In The Thick of It you've got Malcolm Tucker to deal with. Who have we got here?

Quote: MTpromises @ April 1 2012, 5:10 PM BST

The first episode of series 2 was pretty good. The "Christianity? God yes... Jesus" line was almost People Like Us good

It was very 'People Like Us' which was why it felt so predictable to me. I couldn't find much to get excited about with this episode, I realise there's subtlety here, but it isn't funny subtlety to me.

Watched the first fifteen minutes or so of the first ep, but it didn't do anything for me; there just didn't seem enough to it.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 3 2012, 3:29 PM BST

And my biggest problem is that there is never anything at stake or any consequences for their actions. Sure the Olympics might be a disaster but what will be the consequences for these people? How will it impact them if they get it wrong? We never see this.

The absence of consequences for failure would seem to reflect the world it depicts very accurately.

Thought this had improved since series one. Would say that most of the real laughs came in the second half, the minister and the graduate were most entertaining.

I've enjoyed it so far. In terms of shooting style it's fairer to compare to John Morton's previous series 'People Like Us'. I think if you can get out of the mind set of comparing it to 'The Thick Of It' and 'The Office' it's quite enjoyable. 'People Like Us' predates both these shows.

Sorry to see Olivia Colman leave though. She conveys so much doing so little. But I guess two critically acclaimed film perfomances means she's now in demand and too busy! She's rapidly turning into a Judi Dench in training. I wonder if she will be back for Peep Show?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 10 2012, 11:21 AM BST

I've enjoyed it so far. In terms of shooting style it's fairer to compare to John Morton's previous series 'People Like Us'. I think if you can get out of the mind set of comparing it to 'The Thick Of It' and 'The Office' it's quite enjoyable. 'People Like Us' predates both these shows.

Sorry to see Olivia Colman leave though. She conveys so much doing so little. But I guess two critically acclaimed film perfomances means she's now in demand and too busy! She's rapidly turning into a Judi Dench in training. I wonder if she will be back for Peep Show?

Has she officially left? I hope not...

An excellent episode this week. A couple of the characters are spot on. Lots of classic lines.

It's like The Thick Of It but without the bite or laughs.

Why does something have to be biting to be funny? What's wrong with gentle?

I enjoyed the second series (or is this the first half of the 2nd series?). I think Hugh Bonneville has been consistently great throughout.

Isn't Jesica Stephenson's character so bloody annoying. But great to laugh at that type of smartarse Guardian reading type.

Also disappointingly little of the gorgeous Kate Silverton.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 23 2012, 3:20 PM BST

Why does something have to be biting to be funny? What's wrong with gentle?

It was gentle and unfunny.

Thank God it's not just me. I desperately wanted to like this. All the ingredients are here to make this a classic comedy, except laughs. It just isn't funny! I get that it's dry, but it's not even clever dry, it's just dry dry. The whole thing has the feeling of having all been done before, and done better. I read all the reviews (posted on this site) and I'm shocked at how positive they are. It's like something out of Nathan Barley!

I think it just goes to show that with comedy preferences can be as diverse as musical tastes.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Looking forward to its return, which is more than I can say for the Olympics itself.