Grandma's House - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Vince Ives @ April 20 2012, 12:01 PM BST

When I saw him a couple of years back a few people left the second he mentioned something to do with his sexuality. How could you know enough about him to pay for tickets and not know he's gay? Mental.

The first few times I went to see Tim Minchin there were a few older people who walked out. Clearly they'd only seen him on TV where he's not allowed to swear to much or say anything really controversial.

Quote: Aaron @ April 20 2012, 12:03 PM BST

More notably, it's depressing that in this day and age, that'd still be a leaving issue.

I also agree with this.

Quote: Vince Ives @ April 20 2012, 12:01 PM BST

When I saw him a couple of years back a few people left the second he mentioned something to do with his sexuality. How could you know enough about him to pay for tickets and not know he's gay? Mental.

Excellent. I am both broad minded and broad arsed.

I shall apprecaite a comic popular enough to sell out and controversial enough to get me extra arse space.

Like others on this thread, I thought last night's episode was a big improvement on the first series.

I'll be tuning in again next week.

I didn't see the first series so I wasn't really sure but if this first episode is any example of the rest of the series it should be really good.

I watched this after reading the comments on this very thread.

And like most others liked it. A funny sitcom that makes you laugh, a rare beast these days. I thought it has quite an old school flavour to it - just when you think things can't get worse the doorbell rings or the phone rings. He puts in a very crediable acting performance as well.

Looking forward to series three - oh hang on maybe not!

Sharp stuff last night and I can't wait to see more. It's got that modern, natural feel, but - as Bigfella said - there's also shades of classic sitcom.

Clive is the epitome of a nightmare - is that his real speaking voice?!

I also did not watch any of the first series but gave this first episode a go on the iPlayer and rather liked it. I found Amstell very endearing and I like his awkward acting style ("I'm stiff in real life!"). Will definitely watch the next episode, and maybe even try and seek out the first series.

Nothing new to add, I agree with what the majority are saying here - it's wonderful stuff.

I'm hoping the 'no 3rd series' thing was just a Moffat-style ploy.

I liked it, loved the first series. The only criticism I'd have with it is that I found certain parts of that last episode a little too knowing, I know it's a postmodern, playing himself programme, but, I dunno, I found the lines like 'what do you want, a load of ludicrous characters wandering in and out of rooms doing something funny' and then Clive bursting into the room with a karaoke machine a bit bit disappointing really.

Quote: Hyde150 @ April 22 2012, 9:26 PM BST

I found the lines like 'what do you want, a load of ludicrous characters wandering in and out of rooms doing something funny' and then Clive bursting into the room with a karaoke machine a bit bit disappointing really.

Heh, I actually loved that bit.

I didn't overly enjoy the first series, but really enjoyed the start to the new series.

So, what I'm basically saying there is what 90% of you have already said, I'm adding nothing, well done me.

One thing I don't like is the 'music/sting' whatever you want to call it between scenes. Not entirely sure why, makes me feel a bit ill.

Do you think there's a scheduling issue here. Note that few of us caught the first series but are all in with ep1 series 2. I liked it and will watch again.

Thought it was a good start to the series. Disagree with whoever said it was an improvement on the first series, it wasn't quite as good. I did miss Geoffrey Hutchings a lot, I thought his scenes with Simon held the whole thing together.

It was solid enough though. I also quite like the "knowing" gags. The only thing that annoyed me was the amount of times people said "Simon Amstell".

Simon's Mum is such a great character though, I really like her.

Less than a million viewers according to https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/grandmas_house/episodes/2/1/ That can't be good.

Quote: tiger_rick @ April 26 2012, 11:47 AM BST

Less than a million viewers

People be crazy.

Yep, that's nearly a million people who are quite mad.

The rest of us are possibly tired of manufactured dross for pampered stars who're incredibly lucky to be 'stars' in the first place. Maybe the millions of non viewers just don't think they are star worthy?