I read the news today oh boy! Page 678

Quote: chipolata @ February 22 2012, 9:51 AM GMT

I'd bloody love to have a chasm nearby I could look over.

I'm unpersecutable on the BCG. I'm The Original Teflon Poster. Cool

A chasm isn't a woman dressed in PVC Chip, it's like a big raviney thing!

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 9:52 AM GMT

A chasm isn't a woman dressed in PVC Chip

:(

An embarassingly easy ride.

Certainly being a nominally Jewish I am sick and tired of being lumped in with; homophobes, honour killings, spousal abuse, forced marriages and spousal abuse.

Because it's too f**king hard to say some faith groups and some faith groups don't.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 9:53 AM GMT

Because it's too f**king hard to say some faith groups will and some faith groups won't.

Some need a lot of loving and some faith groups don't.

I suppose part of the problem is that I compare how much Christians are persecuted to how much they are the persecutors. I don't think anybody should be persecuted, for the record, but I still can't come up with a group that has been persecuted less throughout history than Christians. If you can, please enlighten me. Apostasy being punished by Muslim states isn't really the same as Christians being persecuted - presumably converting to any other religion would afford you the same treatment. I find all religions insufferable, by the way, Islam gets no special treatment from me. My original comment was in response to someone saying that Ricky Gervais was 'persecutiing' Christians which is patently ridiculous.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 10:09 AM GMT

I suppose part of the problem is that I compare how much Christians are persecuted to how much they are the persecutors. I don't think anybody should be persecuted, for the record, but I still can't come up with a group that has been persecuted less throughout history than Christians. If you can, please enlighten me. Apostasy being punished by Muslim states isn't really the same as Christians being persecuted - presumably converting to any other religion would afford you the same treatment. I find all religions insufferable, by the way, Islam gets no special treatment from me. My original comment was in response to someone saying that Ricky Gervais was 'persecutiing' Christians which is patently ridiculous.

I think we need statistics Harridan otherwise it is generalised speculation. Like I say the Christians persecuted each other a lot too remember.

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 10:15 AM GMT

I think we need statistics Harridan otherwise it is generalised speculation. Like I say the Christians persecuted each other a lot too remember.

I'm looking forward to seeing that League Table of Suffering, Marc!

So it's only just past 10am and world religion and gender identity have been taken to bits, let's throw in the breakdown of society before 11 and we can all be go down the cafe for a fry up.

You live in Birmingham Chip. Walk the streets man, you don't need graphs!!

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 10:09 AM GMT

Well saying Christians are persecuted in the West is ridiculously self indulgent.

But historically I dunno most religions seem to fight amongst each other alot.

I mean you still get sent to chokey in Saudi for prosletysing your faith.

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 10:15 AM GMT

Agreed, but can anyone think of another group that they imagine is persecuted less than Christians? Have to say I'm not really swayed by the argument that because Christians have persecuted other Christians that they've had it rough.

Quote: chipolata @ February 22 2012, 9:49 AM GMT

Your error is the typical liberal error of ranking the persecution of trendy groups like gays and transgenders above that of those persecuted because of their religious beliefs

Here's a cheery statistic, though, a trans person in the US has a 1 in 12 probability of being murdered and between 2008 and 2010 over 500 trans people were murdered worldwide. Trendy or not, that does need some attention, I assume you would agree.

No one seems to particularly pick on; Scientologists, Hindus, Budhists (outside of Tibet which is really more racial) or Pastafarians and I think the Rastafarian faith hasn't really had a hard time of it.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 10:26 AM GMT

Have to say I'm not really swayed by the argument that because Christians have persecuted other Christians that they've had it rough.

But then again you haven't been tied up to a bundle of wood and set alight... I am guessing???

Hey Marc how do you chat up a witch?

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 10:29 AM GMT

But then again you haven't been tied up to a bundle of wood and set alight... I am guessing???

Smooth

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 10:29 AM GMT

Only every other Friday.

Yes, I see your point. persecution is persecution irrespective of who's doing it.