I read the news today oh boy! Page 672

Well statistically more Greeks and Portugese adding to the crowds fleeing poverty.

There's still plenty of work out there. But when I recruit I don't ask half the candidates to be foreign they just are.

And that's for jobs paying above London minimun wage.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 5:18 PM GMT

Any community that puts out that many accountants and lawyers per head of population is going to lead the way in white collar crime.

Similar research into the levels of corruption in Ireland and Irish political system.

Basically after a 1000 year occupation by a foreign power that nicked everything. Left the populace with little faith in law or government.

Doesn't explain Hackney and its propensity for naughtiness though..

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:20 PM GMT

Drugs.

Is that it?

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:20 PM GMT

Keep underinvesting in an area and the people with least opportunities will be the ones living there, both in terms of direct underinvestment and those with less opportunities only being able to afford to live in the shittier areas. Along with Hackney being the catchword for the shitty part of the city and often the country; tell people they're the underclass enough times and they'll start to believe you

Ajgo: My motto from now on is "Hackney? A bit posh, no?"

Just doing my bit to restore balance to society.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 5:41 PM GMT

tell people they're the underclass enough times and they'll start to believe you

I use this method by yelling "I AM A RHINO!" into the mirror every morning.

Edit: This reply is to Evan. Although the rhino might also work

:D I expect you to state it at every opportunity! But then, there are posh bits of Hackney, so we don't want to focus on those or the disadvantaged bits will never receive the attention and funding they need. Oh tis a tale of two cities...hmm, now there's an idea for a story

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 5:49 PM GMT

Edit: This reply is to Evan. Although the rhino might also work

:D I expect you to state it at every opportunity! But then, there are posh bits of Hackney, so we don't want to focus on those or the disadvantaged bits will never receive the attention and funding they need. Oh tis a tale of two cities...hmm, now there's an idea for a story

A Tl OF 2 CTIES

IT WS TH BST OF TMS IT WS TH WRST OF TMS

'The highwayman in the dark was a City tradesman in the light'

Christ, nothing ever changes does it

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:23 PM GMT

Is that it?

For several decades, central Government paid Hackney to take in the influx of refugees. So you had a bunch of foreigns with no skills, no verifiable work record and qualifications that mean diddly squat in the UK all lumped into the one place.

Because so many of the foreigns couldn't get work, crime flourished and then became the norm. If we'd had a points based immigration system instead of the usual open door policy, we'd have more professionals and fewer goat herders.

So what you're saying is we need more goats, so as to provide work and a sense of fulfillment and achievement?
Loads of goats roaming around would be aces.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 6:12 PM GMT

So what you're saying is we need more goats, so as to provide work and a sense of fulfillment and achievement?
Loads of goats roaming around would be aces.

Yeah, when my mate's Greek neighbours kept one in the outside lavvy, it was far from aces. :(

A common misconception but we have actually advanced to indoor loos in Hackney. There is no way you will put me off the idea of goats roaming free across the borough! I demand it immediately, to make up for Diane Abbott (there was going to be more of that sentence but it seemed to work well enough as it is)

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 6:17 PM GMT

A common misconception but we have actually advanced to indoor loos in Hackney. There is no way you will put me off the idea of goats roaming free across the borough! I demand it immediately, to make up for Diane Abbott (there was going to be more of that sentence but it seemed to work well enough as it is)

History doesn't bode well for the goats. Victoria Park used to have proper deer running around until the 1960s when Gypos killed them for free meat.

I thought all the deers moved to Hampstead Heath?