Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 17

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 3 2012, 1:11 PM GMT

The sketch with the ghost of a flea - Noel in the muscle-suit with the bulbs on his back, visiting Rich Fulcher - was one of the strangest and most disturbing things I've ever seen and quite brilliant. It will be on YouTube forever.

Yes, that was really odd, and you could feel the creepy edge to it, It reminded me of the devil coming to a child's birthday party.

I watched them both one after the other and didn't see much difference between them. The comments earlier in the thread about it being rubbish and embarrassing remind me of the reception of Tramadol Nights and puzzle me greatly.

It seems that people have a very narrow idea of what they think a TV programme should be and they are not happy taking bits and pieces from a show but insist on having to like it 100% as if they'd written it themselves.

Noel gets sent a box of cereal called Secret Pieces that turns out to be someone's shit. 'Are they in the shops then?' He asks, 'No but they're outside the shops, by the bush.' How can anyone not laugh at that?

In answer to your question: quite easily because you typed the joke on a forum with an expletive in the explanation, which I don't find funny.

Anyway are you implying that for me to like a show it has to be absolutely perfect? If that is true I feel the need to metaphysically and metaphorically slap you upside your Loop of Henle.

It seems that people have a very narrow idea of what they think a TV programme should be and they are not happy taking bits and pieces from a show but insist on having to like it 100% as if they'd written it themselves.

Now there's an argument. Because Godot enjoys a show, then it is given carte blanche and everyone else is narrow minded / an embittered wannabe writer.

What happens when Godot doesn't enjoy a show? Does his argument still stand up to scrutiny? Can we remind him that he should enjoy everything on television ever because he can take bits and pieces from the show?

Somehow, I think not.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 3 2012, 1:22 PM GMT

Now there's an argument. Because Godot enjoys a show, then it is given carte blanche and everyone else is narrow minded / an embittered wannabe writer.

Says Mr 'British Comedy Is No Longer Funny'. :P

Quote: Aaron @ February 3 2012, 1:32 PM GMT

Says Mr 'British Comedy Is No Longer Funny'. :P

You forget, I have discernment and taste. Please see my earlier comment about idiots watching any colourful crap that's thrown on the television screen.

Do not think of me as a critic, more a guardian, instilled to protect the feeble minded from the constant onslaught of banal mediocrity.

(play dramatic and inspiring music now!)

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 3 2012, 1:20 PM GMT

In answer to your question: quite easily because you typed the joke on a forum with an expletive in the explanation, which I don't find funny.

Anyway are you implying that for me to like a show it has to be absolutely perfect? If that is true I feel the need to metaphysically and metaphorically slap you upside your Loop of Henle.

Well the joke is that someone thinks they can get away with presenting a home-made box of cereal being sold outside the shops by a bush as the same thing as something being in the retail chain. No f**king expletive there at all.

I don't care if people like a show or not, but I am puzzled by what people think is acceptable and not.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 3 2012, 1:22 PM GMT

What happens when Godot doesn't enjoy a show? Does his argument still stand up to scrutiny? Can we remind him that he should enjoy everything on television ever because he can take bits and pieces from the show?

Somehow, I think not.

Most people are narrow minded. I doubt you would disagree with that.

I don't think liking this programme confers any taste or discernment on a person. There are bits of it I like and bits of it I don't like.

I am surprised by what people find acceptable in terms of viewing. My standards are higher than most people's. That's my problem. There's very little that I would say is without merit or flaw.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 3 2012, 1:53 PM GMT

(play dramatic and inspiring music now!)

Edvard Grieg, of course :P

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 3 2012, 2:15 PM GMT

Well the joke is that someone thinks they can get away with presenting a home-made box of cereal being sold outside the shops by a bush as the same thing as something being in the retail chain. No f**king expletive there at all.

I don't care if people like a show or not, but I am puzzled by what people think is acceptable and not.

Aha, sorry I forget shit is not an expletive is it? Smarmy Apologies for use of the word I am just trying to prove a point that does not need proving.

Actually I don't care what people like either and I'm more confused by what I find acceptable or otherwise. :S

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 3 2012, 3:17 PM GMT

Aha, sorry I forget shit is not an expletive is it? Smarmy Apologies for use of the word I am just trying to prove a point that does not need proving.

'Shit' isn't an expletive when you use it as a noun, as I did. So you can't prove your point, even if you want to.

Example.

'Bloody hell! Look at the size of that shit' - shit not used as an expletive.

'Shit! Look at the size of that man's head' - shit is used as an expletive.

I quite liked episode 2, and even laughed once or twice. Perhaps it's not best described as a 'comedy' so much as a psychedelic 'variety' show.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 3 2012, 3:50 PM GMT

'Shit' isn't an expletive when you use it as a noun, as I did. So you can't prove your point, even if you want to.

Example.

'Bloody hell! Look at the size of that shit' - shit not used as an expletive.

'Shit! Look at the size of that man's head' - shit is used as an expletive.

Damnit, I need to go back to school. Or at least learn some English, school probably isn't the best place then, thinking about it.

As a Boosh fan I enjoyed The Moon's cameo in the first episode but otherwise it was a very poor effort indeed.

Second episode was a vast improvement. Still don't quite understand the guy with the shell on his head, very odd indeed. The rest was enjoyable though.

Is it the Boosh without Julian Barrett? Seems that way to me, but Barrett's absence means that half the humour is missing.

Quote: AJGO @ February 3 2012, 2:47 PM GMT

Edvard Grieg, of course :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gv7n2Uxoo

For me, if I don't find it funny, that's just how it is. No case of emperor's new clothes will change that.

Quote: Timbo @ February 3 2012, 11:45 PM GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gv7n2Uxoo

Angelic