Has Louis CK started a trend?

As I'm sure you all know comedian Louis CK has cut the major networks out of his latest special. With his own money, he recorded his latest special for view via stream directly on his website. Whether your a fan or not this has been highly successful for him. Has he started a trend? Will more people follow suit and begin charging for streaming video for pay for view access on-line? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Personally I hope so but I read something somewhere which suggested that Hollywood are totally against this sort of thing and are trying to get some legislation in place to prevent people cutting out them and the distributers. I would expect the US government to support it too because it comes down to money (that they may not get) at the end of the day.

I reckon yeah, especially with American comics, if Louis CK can charge $5 for an hour special then it makes it harder for an inferior comic to value their own stuff at more than double that.

Louis CK is class.

The other trend, I think, will be people offering their content online and allowing downloaders to paypal whatever they want to choose to pay, if at all.

:D Are you two related?

Who on earth is Louis CK?

Quote: Chappers @ January 24 2012, 5:32 PM GMT

Who on earth is Louis CK?

One of the very best stand up comedians around, who also writes, directs and stars in his own brilliant TV show 'Louie'.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 24 2012, 6:41 PM GMT

One of the very best stand up comedians around, who also writes, directs and stars in his own brilliant TV show 'Louie'.

You forgot "edits"!

In which country? I'm guessing he's a Yank with a name like that.

Quote: Chappers @ January 25 2012, 3:23 PM GMT

In which country? I'm guessing he's a Yank with a name like that.

Little known fact, but he's actually of Mexican descent.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 25 2012, 3:49 PM GMT

Little known fact, but he's actually of Mexican descent.

Oh well. That explains why I've never heard of him.

Quote: Chappers @ January 25 2012, 4:01 PM GMT

Oh well. That explains why I've never heard of him.

That's the stuff, keep your horizons at arm's length.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 25 2012, 4:44 PM GMT

That's the stuff, keep your horizons at arm's length.

Can't see that far.

For the record: I had heard a lot about Louis CK so I decided to check out one of his stand-up shows. I thought it was OK but I didn't quite see what all the fuss was about (He made me smile more than laugh!).

Then I checked out his sitcom "Louie" - Loved it from the first episode. It makes me laugh hard. It has a refreshing tone and feel to it. It seems like honest comedy that is not afraid to try new things in order to get a laugh. I will now search out some more of his stand-up and hopefully enjoy him more. Ricky Gervais even has a very funny cameo as the worlds most annoying Doctor. This show could very well turn out to be a bonefide classic!

Quote: Bob Hicks @ January 26 2012, 1:54 PM GMT

For the record: I had heard a lot about Louis CK so I decided to check out one of his stand-up shows. I thought it was OK but I didn't quite see what all the fuss was about (He made me smile more than laugh!).

Then I checked out his sitcom "Louie" - Loved it from the first episode. It makes me laugh hard. It has a refreshing tone and feel to it. It seems like honest comedy that is not afraid to try new things in order to get a laugh. I will now search out some more of his stand-up and hopefully enjoy him more. Ricky Gervais even has a very funny cameo as the worlds most annoying Doctor. This show could very well turn out to be a bonefide classic!

Unfortunately I think 'Louie' has already been cancelled in the U.S. I haven't seen it yet, but I did recently see his 'Chewed Up' stand up DVD, thought it was quite good.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ March 23 2012, 3:18 PM GMT

Unfortunately I think 'Louie' has already been cancelled in the U.S.

No, there's a third series coming.

As for the original question, Aziz Ansari, who stars in 'Park And Rec', has just released his latest stand up special in the same way as Louis.