Four Lions - Chris Morris' Jihadi Comedy Page 13

Quote: catskillz @ January 27 2011, 6:47 PM GMT

I watched this a couple of weeks ago. Can someone explain why the white Muslim bloke seemed to be racially abusing the main Pakistani bloke?

When does this happen? I can't remember it.

The main time this happens is naear the end, when the white bloke hits the little skinny Pakistani bloke, and calls him a "Paki". He also says something earlier on, about one of the other blokes' Uncles in Pakistan.

I didn't actually notice that, but Barry's portrayed as being unhinged, so it doesn't seem out of character.

Quote: robert aitken @ July 20 2010, 2:17 AM GMT

I love Chris Morris and I love this film, but I think- why are two of the gang mentally defective. Removes the bite that film should have, for cheapshit laffs.

I don't think that was a lazy comedy device to characterise them like that. Looking and watching some of the British converts to Al-Quaeda type terrorism a lot of them don't seem to be the full shilling.
Over the years terrorists often seem to be bright and/or highly educated idealists who have lost their moral compass but doesn't seem to be the case with Islamic terrorism.
Last month an Iman in East London received death threats for suggesting Darwinism and Islam were not incompatible. Like the BNP and the EDL this is not a political movement that attracts deep intellectual thinkers.

Let's face it they are pretty shit in real life, sheep have probably killed more people in this country than Al Qaeda terrorists since 2001.

I don't want to downplay the work that the counter-terrorism agencies do, but I'm always amazed at how rubbish terrorists usually are (obviously they have some successes), usually they do less damage to life and property than the average drunk or careless driver.

Four Lions is to be shown on Channel 4 at 21.00 on Sunday 4th September.

The suicide crow was funniest.
As a film comedy, The Infidel, is better.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 24 2011, 4:38 PM BST

Four Lions is to be shown on Channel 4 at 21.00 on Sunday 4th September.

Cool. Worth another watch.

Ta Ian

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ August 25 2011, 10:26 AM BST

Cool. Worth another watch.

Ta Ian

Dan

A Rolex or a Casio?

Or would it be "worth watching again"?

Sorry, the use of "watch" like that (and "ask", as in "that's a big ask" rather than "that's a big thing to ask"), mainly by football commentators, does my noggin in.

;)

Quote: Brian Brane @ August 24 2011, 7:51 PM BST

The suicide crow was funniest.
As a film comedy, The Infidel, is better.

The Infidel maybe the least funny film ever.

Where as 4 Lions maybe one of the funnies.

You need to apologise to cinema.

I like "Four Lions" and it has a few moments of comedy genius (I love the bit with the police snipers) but overall I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't funnier.

I'd go so far as to put Four Lions in the same category as Life of Brian.

British-made, hilarious, with a point to make.

I thought it was seriously funny and covered some issues brilliantly.

If there was any lag it was because at times, the film was so ambitious.

I mean a guy planning to kill himself, orphan his child and murder strangers. There's really no funny angle, hence when he walks into Boots at the end. I don't know how that could have been funny.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 25 2011, 10:45 AM BST

I'd go so far as to put Four Lions in the same category as Life of Brian.

British-made, hilarious, with a point to make.

Bang on the nail!

One of those rare brilliant comedies only we Brits can make.

*Rule Britannia play, stands up and trousers fall down*

I think I'd add Withnail and I to that.

I mean a guy planning to kill himself, orphan his child and murder strangers. There's really no funny angle, hence when he walks into Boots at the end. I don't know how that could have been funny.

Probably why the punchline(s) come during the credits.

Yes some of those credits jokes are very dark.

The thing that surprised me is it's like a deranged Ealing film. One could picture Will Hay in it, as the put up blowhard with idiotic mates.