Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 2

It's a sort of compliment.

I don't think there's any comedy I don't like that I want to. I have the best taste.

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 10:20 PM BST

It's a sort of compliment.

No, no. As ever, you're kind, Soots. But that's a lapse in standards and judgement that'll haunt me forever. I'm going to have to re-think where I'm heading. And I've had to explain to my Mrs about the huge bit of tumbleweed that's just blown across our living room.

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 10:11 PM BST

I think I mean well written compared against a lot of contemporary stuff.

Whenever I watch it seems to consist of endless bloody cutaways (the lazy man's show don't tell) and Miranda getting herself into some painfully contrived embarrassing situation just as someone whom she has been trying to impress just happens to walk past for no apparent reason.

Quote: Timbo @ July 5 2011, 10:26 PM BST

Whenever I watch it seems to consist of endless bloody cutaways (the lazy man's show don't tell)

Depends how it's done; they did loads in Arrested Development and there's nothing lazy about that show.

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 9:59 PM BST

What an odd Personally I think alot of people can't stand that the sharpest, wittiest sitcoms these days are American.

It's an interesting point, but I'd come at it from a different angle. I think I do have quite a British sense of humour, and whilst I do like several shows from abroad; The American Office, Summer Heights High, Flight of the Concords, I do find it harder to get into non British shows, not through any dislike of Americans or jealously of them producing good, sharp, witty sitcoms but maybe because I find it hard to find something funny that I don't really relate to. The slight cultural differences are probably enough to throw me off. Suppose it's all down to personal taste and what makes you laugh. For example I find Peep Show hilarious because I agree with a lot of the stuff that both Jeremy and Mark say and think. The fact that I relate to it so much really hits me. I can't relate to Larry getting into one of his arguments, because I wouldn't dream of doing the same, I'd swallow the annoyance down until it reappears as a heart attack in later life. I think it's all down to preference rather than people being jealous of American sitcoms.

Quote: Timbo @ July 5 2011, 10:26 PM BST

Whenever I watch it seems to consist of endless bloody cutaways (the lazy man's show don't tell) and Miranda getting herself into some painfully contrived embarrassing situation just as someone whom she has been trying to impress just happens to walk past for no apparent reason.

Yeah, I find her as funny as root canal surgery (including the bill for it). I'm astounded by how popular she/it is.....but good luck to people who like the show (each to his own, and all that).

How ever little I related to CYB or Friends settings. The note perfect writing was just fascinating.

I never got Terry and June I found it nightmarish and sinister, they make me think of Fred and Rose West.

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ July 5 2011, 10:33 PM BST

Yeah, I find her as funny as root canal surgery (including the bill for it). I'm astounded by how popular she/it is.....but good luck to people who like the show (each to his own, and all that).

Such fun!

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 10:36 PM BST

How ever little I related to CYB or Friends settings. The note perfect writing was just fascinating.

I never got Terry and June I found it nightmarish and sinister, they make me think of Fred and Rose West.

Such fun!

For me, the most note-perfect British sitcoms are Porridge and Rising Damp. But Friends is staggering. I must have seen each episode a dozen times (who needs duvdahs, when E4 hammer it to death!), and it STILL makes me laugh. Then again, with about 300 writers on it, Friends is entitled to be pure gold (but I guess loads of writers hasn't helped some other shows!)

I can't watch Friends! I hate it, hate it hate it!!!!!!!!

And also I can't watch Curb Your Enthusiasm.

What an odd remark. It's not especially Jewish it's just sort of American upper class.

Seems a bizarre reason to dislike.

Personally I think alot of people can't stand that the sharpest, wittiest sitcoms these days are American.

Having lived in Connecticut under the roof of a family of Jewish friends for an extended period of time, I would have expected it to have been much stronger comedy, I think when devising a character who is intended to be disliked it is a very fine line to get it right. Curb Your Enthusiam doesn't, whereas The Office (it's the only thing I've ever had any time for Ricky Gervais) does.
A lot of the American comedies we get may be sharp or witty, but therein lies the problem. They are so sharp, witty & cool, they forget to dig that bit deeper & inject real humour.

Miranda is in some ways a well written, performed classic sitcom of the old skool.

But it's so self regarding, snobbish and supposedly ironic that it just annoys me.

Exactly. How the hell the woman has her own show & such huge kudos is astounding, she's so wooden I fear getting splinters when I reach for the remote to evade her show.

Seth Rogen comedies. They're okay but I just can't get that excited about them.

Quote: BuryBob @ July 5 2011, 11:15 PM BST

Exactly. How the hell the woman has her own show & such huge kudos is astounding, she's so wooden I fear getting splinters when I reach for the remote to evade her show.

You have a wooden remote?

Seth Rogen is so mediocre and drearily explicit. Shame he's a very funny actor in other people's films.

Miranda shows choking arrogance in her show when the title sequence is all photos of her growing up. Why does the BBC produce some of the dreck it does?

Quote: zooo @ July 5 2011, 11:21 PM BST

You have a wooden remote?

Maybe she gives him wood?

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 11:22 PM BST

Seth Rogen is so mediocre and drearily explicit. Shame he's a very funny actor in other people's films.

Miranda shows choking arrogance in her show when the title sequence is all photos of her growing up. Why does the BBC produce some of the dreck it does?

Maybe she gives him wood?

I think the chances of that are remote.