Billy Connolly Page 2

Just where are the Billy Connolly fans? It's a Scottish conspiracy. There's no other explanation for how long it took us to offload those ruddy tickets, given how everyone is supposed to adore him.

Not funny at all. I agree with sidecar jon, it just all seems dead.

Maybe it's because I'm going it's put some people off attending?

I used to love Billy when I was at school and younger. And while I still enjoy him now, I'm not as bothered.

I know you're all dying to hear my feedback, here it is....

It was OK! I've heard most of it before, and he does seem to rely on the whole 'I'm laughing at my own jokes' routine a bit much, which you notice more whenthe jokes aren't funny. Having said that I did laught all the way through, although that might be bacuase I was trying to enjoy it. I declined appearing in the video as I could hear how they were manipulating the views of the guy in front of me and I didn't want to be misquoted like that. Was worth it for the nice sandwiches though.

:)

The best comedian I've seen - by a mile.

His gig of around two years ago, was immaculate in the building of the laughter.

To be around for as long as he has been and only rarely repeat an old joke - exceptional.

I'm surprised at the dead comments - to me, he's the most 'human' and enrapturing entertainer I'm aware of. Look at Bob Hoskins' face on An Audience With Billy Connolly' - as well as storing it in your w/bank, look how hooked he is. No - I see that pun, but I steer clear.

Hmm - I seem to be using the interest of Hoskins as a yardstick. Ah heck, I stand by it.

For magical Hoskins moment...

http://www.thehut.com/dvd/billy-connolly-an-audience-with-two/8600556.html

£2.85 - bargain.

he's the most enrapturing entertainer I'm aware of. Look at Bob Hoskins' face on An Audience With Billy Connolly - look how hooked he is.

Fair point.

If Hoskins is laughing, at least we know he's not putting it on - he's not that good an actor.

Billy hasn't said anything funny for the last 20 years. He is old and burnt out. Just the same old rehashed routine, and that's coming from a Glaswegian.

His roles in almost every film he has been cast in are embaressing too.

Also noticed that he attends the funeral of almost evey famous person who dies. Does he have a Hearse fetish?

Well Aaron, if you'd used the tickets, you'd understand why Billy's still number 1. I've studied his material until I know it back to front and, amazingly, I still found him hilarious. www.billyconnearly.com

Quote: Aaron @ November 1 2010, 2:54 PM GMT

Just where are the Billy Connolly fans? It's a Scottish conspiracy. There's no other explanation for how long it took us to offload those ruddy tickets, given how everyone is supposed to adore him.

Have never found him very interesting (possibly because I'm a snob), apart from the film Still Crazy, an episode of Minder and the time he played a Scottish scarecrow in the Worzel Gummidge Christmas special. Testament to Connolly's popularity are the multiple copies of the biography Billy, by Pamela Stephenson, at my local charity shops. It outnumbers even Pam Ayres' poetry books and David Niven's The Moon's a Balloon. At least Billy has been a good husband, providing pointless commentary to Pamela Stephenson's appalling nautical ancestry documentary filmed in Indonesia. More recently, I saw Pamela interviewing Billy on the telly last week - and thought it must be comedy, it was like Oprah discussing angst with Doctor Phil (or something off Human Remains), but apparently it wasn't a joke.

Quote: Griff @ January 11 2011, 10:25 AM GMT

Actually those David Niven books are quite funny.

They are indeed. I've been able to get first editions from the charity shops.

I thought I was odd in not liking him... I thought I'd get shot down in flames by admitting it, good to know I'm not alone. Some comedians I grew sick of (the whimsy ones) but Billy I just never found funny in the slightest.

Was unlike anything else in the mainstream when he broke through, and influenced most modern comedians, directly or indirectly. Not seen any of his stuff old or new in years, but can imagine that being married to Pam Stephenson could suck the humour out of anyone.

Quote: Griff @ January 11 2011, 1:45 PM GMT

Her current psychobabble is nigh-on unbearable but Pamela Stephenson was a very good comedy performer back in the Not The Nine O'Clock News day, I think unfairly regarded as "just the eye candy" when actually she was a very funny impressionist, for example.

She did that really dull news presenter impression, didn't she?

Oh yes, she was very funny. Nice tits too.