Billy Connolly

So, if you remember a little while back, Billy Connolly was voted as the best stand-up in the world by a TV poll. Is he great, or is he over-rated? What do people think?

As an aside, if you are a fan and want to go to a special screening of his new DVD on 1st November in London mention it in this thread or contact me (in the next 24 hours).

I do think he merits his status as the best because he created that mamoth stadium gig thing (or did he merely revive it after Bob Hope had created it much earlier) and he was consistently very funny. He was the bridge between old school non pc comics and the new alternative comedy, maybe with help of Dave Allen there.

The first of the long haired scruff bags, he made it de rigeur for so long, rather depressingly. A natural performer with a big act, he was also responsible for the very physical style of delivery we have seen so many use/borrow/steal. For someone so pioneering it is little wonder he is held in such high regard, especially by other stand ups. So yes!

IMO he's one of the finest comedians the world has produced - ever.

Quote: Mark @ October 27 2010, 4:50 PM BST

Billy Connolly was voted as the best stand-up in the world by a TV poll. Is he great, or is he over-rated?next 24 hours).

It's one of those rare occasions when a comic isn't overrated.

Not for me, I don't like him, don't find him funny at all. It's quite odd watching him when I have no investment in his humour, it seems dead inside to me...

I wasn't too keen on that American sit-com he did, but I LOVE his 1970s stand-up. The Sarry Heid, 3 men fae Carntyne, Big Banana feet, Welllie boot song were brilliant, ground breaking stuff. Some of his one liners are classics too.

He has also made some ghastly films...Man Who Sued God for example. Maybe he needed a bigger country estate.

He was really the first singing comedian quickly followed by Jasper Carrott, Mike Harding etc.

Hence the long hair (the first well known one from the folkies, although long hair and music was very prevalent among the club comedians of the late 60s and early 70s).

Have never found this man as funny as legend says he is. Fair play to those who do though.

And he was the first one to swear like a docker...

Oh!

There's a couple more tickets available for tonight's screening if anyone wants them - just get in touch. 6pm in London.

I'm going tonight, anyone else?

I always preferred Jasper Carrott amongst those comics arising from the folk club scene.

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 1 2010, 2:35 PM BST

I'm going tonight, anyone else?

I was going to but I'm moving things again.