Russell Brand's Ponderland - Series 1

That clip on the News of Brand's show looks great, I'm a big Brand fan but haven't liked his previous TV shows Got Issues and his chat show because it seemed Channel 4 kept giving him the wrong format. His best work is his Radio 2 show and I always wanted him to do a TV show where he could be more like he is on there, discussing certain topics as he has many a tale to tell from his youth and it seems finally they've found the right format for him. Ponderland hopefully won't be a let down.

Also he's in Judd Apatows new movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall next year which has been getting great reviews. Apatow had hits this year with Superbad and Knocked Up.

The clip won't work for me, but I agree with everything else you said.

He can have moments of pure genius.

The clip don't work for me either. But I agree, I like him and his articulation in his accent.

I remember seeing him for the first time on UK Play RE:Brand and then on late night Channel 4, to very weird programs, what was he on? ...oh wait!

I remember seeing him on MTV doing the Dance Chart. I was really young then. I liked his MTV Show, you know, the Leicester Square one, but no the rest. His radio shows on Radio 2 and 6music were brilliant though.

Can't wait to FSM.

He had a half-hour comedy special, about 5 years ago, which was weird-as-f**k. He looke a bit different then as well, as he was clean-shaven, and wore really baggy trousers and trainers. My sister swears he acted in a kid's T.V. show, when he was a teenager.

Yeah he did. Can't remember what it was though. He went to that famous performing arts school when he was young.

His Re:brand shows were amazing. They might be on youtube somewhere.

Wasn't he in Children's Ward? If that's what it was called? I remember seeing a clip on one of those clip shows.

*Gets out her unofficial Russell Brand biography*

*No, really*

Apparently, when he was a teenager he was in something called Mud, and The Bill.

Quote: zooo @ October 16, 2007, 10:58 PM

The clip won't work for me

I think The Sun took their video player offline for maintenance last night which might explain that.

Hopefully you can see it now: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000307

I first saw Brand on his Comedy Lab show which was god-awful and a poor attempt at Vic Reeve's Big Night Out, which Brand totally admits, it was back in his drug addiction days and not much planning went into things.

But then his RE:Brand shows are absolutely brilliant, he was also on drugs then too but the show seemed to have more focus, more intelligent as well as funny.

Then when he was signed up to do BBBM's he got cleaned up, went to rehab and has now been drug free for 4 years, so you've got to admire him for that a lot of people can't give up the drugs that easy. I did like him on BBBM just for his witty remarks to guests and the audience, I couldn't really care for the "ball bags" stuff though, but as he says been on live every night of the week on a show about Big Brother it's difficult to come up with brand new stuff all the time, so some things recurred every night.

But his radio shows are his best work, the old 6 Music shows were just superb and it looks like that's the form Ponderland are going to take. The Radio 2 shows are great too but are a bit more over-the-place than the 6 Music shows, like this weeks for example where it was Russell and Noel Fiedling hosting (he was standing in for Matt Morgan who is on holiday), the show was totally manic and not as good as previous weeks, that could be because I don't like Noel Fielding though. :)

When was this Re:brand show on? Is it on youtube?

Yeah, just search for 'RE:Brand'.
They all seem to be there.
Show 1 is my favourite, where he boxes his dad. It's so touching - not what I expected at all.

And, apropos of nothing...

Crikey.

Aaron's favourite one is where he gives a hand job to that bloke in the toilets ;) or is it having sex with the granny or maybe bathing a tramp?

I've read his secret blogs, I know what he gets up to!

The granny one I've actually never finished watching, so I don't know what they ended up doing...

Do I want to know?

He couldn't go through with it.