BBC Comedy College Page 24

Quote: Phill @ April 4 2008, 9:51 AM BST

I think I saw Michael Jacob last night, but I completely failed to talk to him.

Or anyone else for that matter.

It was just so mobbed that I slid away. Nab me next time.

Quote: chipolata @ April 4 2008, 9:56 AM BST

Are we allowed multiple entries? Sorry if this has already been covered but I can't be arsed going through the entire thread.

I foolishly didn't specify in the rules, but we'd prefer not to have multiple entries and would rather see what you consider your best work.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ April 4 2008, 12:31 PM BST

It was just so mobbed that I slid away. Nab me next time.

It wasn't your fault, it was mine. I sort of hung around on the fringes for a bit before deciding it wasn't worth bothering anyone. I wasn't 100% certain it was you anyway, not until I got home and thought about looking for a photo of you on the net.

I must try harder next time.

Quote: Aldeem @ April 4 2008, 9:55 AM BST

You have an admirable radar there Micheal. Both here and on Writer's Dock you respond within hours, which I think is very good of you. Would you deny however that there is any semblance of truth in the bureaucratic hurdles and decisions by committee going on down at the beeb? Also, how DO shows like Titty Bang Bang get commissioned? it's enough to make an aspiring writer take up sea fishing.

There truly isn't any bureaucracy in comedy commissioning. I can't speak for other areas. And can't comment on TittyBB since it's an indie show.

Basically, if I develop something the head of comedy, my boss, has to like it. If he likes it we talk to Lucy Lumsden about it. If she likes it, we talk to a controller about it. There isn't a committee in sight. After the pitching process, each channel has a decision-making meeting, which involves a number of relevant people - scheduling, for example - but there aren't any comedy committees. Honest.

Quote: chipolata @ April 4 2008, 11:12 AM BST

Next time you see him ask him what originally attracted him to the the script of the morally dubious laughter-free zone that was Thieves Like Us.

The characters, the humour and the world.

What's all this? New BBC Comedy Units? Roomfuls of producers? F**k it, I always miss the best parties.

Must buy some new deodorant. Huh?

i can't be bothered to wade through the whole thread... anyone applied yet?

no seemed silly to do it, before tilt is over

I did.

Yeh but you've done loads of stuff, I haven't

Couldn't help but think Tilt and comedy academy being so close wasn't a coincidence

Quote: sootyj @ April 6 2008, 8:48 AM BST

Yeh but you've done loads of stuff, I haven't

Couldn't help but think Tilt and comedy academy being so close wasn't a coincidence

Unless I've missed something, isn't Tilt a sketch show and the comedy academy aimed at sitcom?

You've missed something. The comedy college scheme is for both sitcom and sketch writers, that's why you can either enter a portfolio of sketches or a sample of a sitcom.

That's the entry requirements Dolly. The 'course' or whatever you call it is about developing a sitcom and writing for an existing sitcom - not about sketch writing. As fas as I understand it anyway.

From the BBC press office:
The scheme (launching on Wednesday 12 March) will take six writers and train them over a year by attaching them to sitcoms and sketch shows, giving each a mentor for original work, and running a series of masterclasses in all aspects of comedy writing.

Incidently I don't see a connection between Tilt and this scheme. (that wasn't from the BBC press office. That was my own comment).

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 6 2008, 11:54 AM BST

From the BBC press office:
The scheme (launching on Wednesday 12 March) will take six writers and train them over a year by attaching them to sitcoms and sketch shows, giving each a mentor for original work, and running a series of masterclasses in all aspects of comedy writing.

Incidently I don't see a connection between Tilt and this scheme. (that wasn't from the BBC press office. That was my own comment).

Cheers Dolly. Missed that entirely. And I am with you, I don't see a connection either. Except both great opportunities.

:)

The connection for me is that they are looking for writers with some background. As it is notoriously difficult to get into the BBC, it's like saying we want people who have proved themselves, now here's your chance to do it. So if like me you've never got stuff on TV or radio, here's a chance just before the deadline to prove you can produce broadcast worthy stuff.

That makes sense Msr Sooty. Wonder how many applications they will have to read, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes four figures.