Current radio comedy Page 134

I used to always listen to radio comedy, especially the 6:30 slot. I haven't listened to anything for months now, possibly even a year. Partly because I like to have a 6:30 snooze nowadays, but mainly because it all seems so shockingly bland and forgettable.

Quote: Nogget @ 23rd July 2016, 9:23 AM BST

While there are obvious similarities, I think they are quite different performers. Milton tends toward the surreal, whereas Tim is like a champion of the dad-joke.

Milton, of old, yes. Milton of recent times, his most recent R4 series anyway, is just punning, and not that well. Like he has run out of creative steam.

New Dead Ringers is ok

Not brill

But it's worth a listen

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th July 2016, 7:24 PM BST

New Dead Ringers is ok

Not brill

But it's worth a listen

Some pretty ordinary writing when I listened.

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th July 2016, 7:24 PM BST

New Dead Ringers is ok

Not brill

But it's worth a listen

Actually, I thought Dead Ringers really rocked it this time round. Particularly like Angela Eagle, Theresa May and the Andrew Neil/ Diane Abbot runner.

The sublime Robin and Wendy's Wet Weekends is back on R4 Extra. A triumph of dark, perverse humour from Kay Stonham, who finished up writing the series alone after Simon Greenall departed.

Speaking of Simon Greenall, his Sid James in the re-recordings of the missing Hancock's Half Hours, is a travesty. The others try hard, Kevin Eldon's Bill Kerr is a nice impersonation, but I wish they hadn't bothered. They don't measure up. They never could.

Yeah his 'Sid' isn't very good is it?!

Good show though

And the lad, is spot on most importantly

Yes, McNally is the best of them by a long way. I just don't see the point apart from novelty value. I'd rather read the scripts.

Robin and Wendy's Wet Weekends

- This is very, very good.

They should have given the writers and the actors more series.

Quote: Bomsh @ 26th July 2016, 10:29 AM

Actually, I thought Dead Ringers really rocked it this time round. Particularly like Angela Eagle, Theresa May and the Andrew Neil/ Diane Abbot runner.

When I've caught it it's been great, the writing's got spikier and it's ramped the show up, the audience laughter seems genuinely raucous unlike our TV sitcoms now.

One I've caught a few times now because of the time I'm driving home more is Mark Watson Talks. Been very impressed overall, there are little bits of twaddly rubbish but nowhere near as much as I expected. Surprised he's not a bigger name in standup or on many panel shows as he's genuinely hilarious with a nicely wild and untidy delivery, a nice change from the usual over controlled timing and editing of many, inc. Milton Jones above.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 28th September 2016, 7:27 AM

Robin and Wendy's Wet Weekends

- This is very, very good.

They should have given the writers and the actors more series.

The first two series were written by and featured Kay Stonham and Simon Greenall, a couple at the time. Their relationship broke up, hence Greenall was replaced in the later series and Stonham wrote solo, a demanding job on top of acting. I actually prefer the later series. Stonham is very talented, especially writing, she sadly seems to have drifted away from writing.

Be Lucky was nice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yjm5s

Note to writer: planting actual vegetables often works better than planting seeds.

I've enjoyed the recent Mark Steel's in Town!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 13th October 2016, 1:03 PM

I've enjoyed the recent Mark Steel's in Town!

Always been great listening. Lovely balance between information and taking the piss out of places. Deserves more awards than it has won.

'Party' repeated again on 4extra

Superb show