What are you reading right now? Page 218

Quote: Kenneth @ 10th July 2016, 3:02 PM BST
Originally by one of the geezers who assisted Hergé on a few Tintin albums. Densest damn dialogue I've ever encountered in a comic.

I tried the Yellow M. Heavy going does not begin to describe it.

Quote: keewik @ 10th July 2016, 10:41 PM BST

I loved that book. Read it in third year at school and won a prize for writing an essay about it.

Cheers Keewik, fivers in the post.

I loved that book. Read it in third year at school and won a prize for writing an essay about it.

It's the first time I've read it. It's an audio book and I love hearing the language. I have decided to find out more about it when I've finished.

Quote: Loopey @ 10th July 2016, 10:08 PM BST

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

I read it in the first year of my English A Level but I never did the second year. I'd completed Art A Level in one year and went to Art College. A lot of good that did me.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th July 2016, 7:40 PM BST

I read it in the first year of my English A Level but I never did the second year. I'd completed Art A Level in one year and went to Art College. A lot of good that did me.

What did you think of the book?

Quote: Loopey @ 12th July 2016, 7:53 PM BST

What did you think of the book?

Well in spite of the fact that you have to go through the ins and outs with a fine tooth pick I did actually enjoy it and subsequently read it in later years purely for pleasure. But it's a bit of a bummer though.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th July 2016, 9:01 PM BST

But it's a bit of a bummer though.

Jude the Obscure is far more uplifting. "Because we are too menny." Sound advice for any children.

Quote: Kenneth @ 12th July 2016, 9:13 PM BST

Jude the Obscure is far more uplifting. "Because we are too menny." Sound advice for any children.

Uplifting????? We had to design a book cover in Art and I choose 'Jude'. My design featured 3 (I think) hanging nooses. I was always a Thomas Hardy fan. Loved the first film of 'Far from the Madding Crowd'.

Quote: keewik @ 12th July 2016, 10:09 PM BST

Uplifting????? We had to design a book cover in Art and I choose 'Jude'. My design featured 3 (I think) hanging nooses. I was always a Thomas Hardy fan. Loved the first film of 'Far from the Madding Crowd'.

I loved the first film too. Love Alan Bates.
I am going to read that book next if I can get it on audio.

Quote: Loopey @ 13th July 2016, 9:45 AM BST

I loved the first film too. Love Alan Bates.
I am going to read that book next if I can get it on audio.

Can't Bill sit and read it to you?

Quote: Chappers @ 13th July 2016, 10:02 AM BST

Can't Bill sit and read it to you?

Laughing out loud I usually listen when he is driving or when we're sitting in waiting rooms. Don't think that would work.

An English book called Oscar Wilde's London https://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Wildes-London-Wolf-Eckardt/dp/1854792547 Litrally found it in someone's bin (in perfect condition though) near my neighbourhood. It's a book describing London circa 1880, very interesting with lots of beautiful photos and drawings. As an anglophile and a lover of past eras I had to take it home. And it gives me the chance to further improve my English.
The best things in life are free!

Sounds interesting Gordy

I'm reading the Mothman Profecies

Weird shit indeed

Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS by Joby Warrick. A damning indictment of Cheney, Rumsfeld and other assorted nutters.

Rumsfeld needs sealing in concrete and dumping at the bottom of the ocean

Demonic