EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 27

Fantastic result last Thursday. Enthralling developments since. We're in for a very interesting summer.

I always want The Thick Of It back on, but we don't really need it at the moment.

:D

Quote: Aaron @ 30th June 2016, 2:02 PM BST

Fantastic result last Thursday.

Yes, great to see the PM quit.

Pity about the EU thing though.

Quote: Nogget @ 30th June 2016, 3:48 PM BST

Yes, great to see the PM quit.

Pity about the EU thing though.

The EU result was wonderful. The PM quitting was a good decision.

Quote: Aaron @ 30th June 2016, 2:02 PM BST

Fantastic result last Thursday. Enthralling developments since. We're in for a very interesting summer.

It's spectacular spectator sport, isn't it? Love it!!

Gotta feel sorry for the poor bastards in Britain though - they're f**ked. Thank God I don't live there...hang on...

Quote: Frantically @ 30th June 2016, 10:08 PM BST

Gotta feel sorry for the poor bastards in Britain though - they're f**ked. Thank God I don't live there...hang on...

What, not another remainer re-moaning!

My petition for a realistic second referendum has now been published.

I'd love you all to sign it too.

"In 2018 hold a referendum on whether negotiated EU Exit terms are acceptable."

Click this link to see the petition and start sharing it: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/155138

Quote: billwill @ 1st July 2016, 8:40 PM BST

My petition for a realistic second referendum has now been published.

I'd love you all to sign it too.

"In 2018 hold a referendum on whether negotiated EU Exit terms are acceptable."

Click this link to see the petition and start sharing it: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/155138

NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS

(1977/2016)

ANARCHY IN THE UK

Something along those lines might well happen. It will mark the systematic - but in essence punk rock/anarchic - destruction of British Parliamentary democracy which is based on electing MPs to make decisions on our behalves.

Just over half of those who voted opted to Leave - just over one third of the British population. Of those who voted to Leave, there is a wide range of opinion on the future of trade and immigration. Those who want zero or virtually no immigration may be in a majority of that 52% of voters (36% of citizens). The fear of those who are of that political opinion is that the new PM may secure a European agreement that is not to their liking.

A referendum along the above lines is designed to try to force an alternative outcome to the one our Government is likely to agree with the EU for maximum trade. It is unlikely to succeed but it would be expensive, taking taxpayers' money from the NHS when the NHS is under big pressure, education and other essential services.

It is essentially an attempt to provide a UKIP policy outcome when UKIP only have one MP and know that they stand no chance of winning a democratic general election. Hardly surprising really when Mr Farage increasingly looks like a man who can't work with anybody. On Monday, Douglas Carswell MP is going to get kicked out.

PRETTY VACANT

UKIP - and their right wing Tory friends - have already failed the British public. While there were restrictions on what Governments - Labour and Conservative - could do formally in terms of international trade agreements with Australia, New Zealand etc, there was absolutely nothing to prevent extensive informal negotiations between UKIP and potential international trade partners. That's in all the years since 1991 when Nigel Farage first appeared on the scene. Instead, their "work" and "preparation" was nothing compared to the lime lighting.

Had that happened - had they and their non-productive backers (pensions for up to 45 years, swaths of the unemployed) done the proper jobs they accuse MEPs of not doing, Britain would have been in a good position. It could soon have been able to turn all those informal plans into formal trade agreements with a flick of a switch.

That would have enabled there to be less emphasis on the European market going forward and greater say by our Governments on immigration levels. It would also have avoided the likelihood of Britain going forlornly cap in hand across the globe in search of trade in the next two decades while health provision and state pensions disappear for anyone whose hair hasn't yet turned completely grey. But no, oh no, they just wanted a fight.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Constitutionally, referendums are designed for significant consitutional reform. They are not designed for policies long favoured by Nick Griffin - though not Richard Branson - to be decided by a range of the informed and the uninformed rather than by, among others, the elected Chancellor and the elected Home Secretary of the day.

As a precedent, a referendum on trade and on immigration opens the door to referendums on compulsory repatriation, the abolition of the welfare state, the restoration of the electric chair, freedom of worship, the nature of personal relationships and very much more. It could even turn the Muslims into the Jews of the 21st Century,

As we head towards recession, Britain will be less attractive to immigrants seeking employment. When that recession leads to necessary cut backs in benefits to British people, immigrants who find Benefit Britain attractive will no longer do so. When the current Home Secretary pursues as Prime Minister her policy of reducing non EU immigration from the current 190,000 to 20,000, that too will have a significant impact on reducing immigration.

If those factors combined are insufficient for some people, then perhaps they might consider moving to the United States of Donald Trump or another country with minimal heritage and let the vast majority of British people try to save our country in their absence and along with it beliefs in the democratic principles we designed.

MY UNCLE DIDN'T HELP CLEAN UP BELSEN FOR UKIP OR THE BNP.

Jesus Christ you lot lost so get on with your lives as Farage rightly said its not the best out of 3.

Quote: alan1967 @ 1st July 2016, 9:44 PM BST

Jesus Christ you lot lost so get on with your lives as Farage rightly said its not the best out of 3.

You dare to quote Farage. He's a f**king racist eejit out for his own ends. Definitely not kin to Einstein.

I have a feeling that many people who voted in will now vote Corbyn.

Quote: alan1967 @ 1st July 2016, 9:44 PM BST

Sorry, who (which of us above) lost ?

Horseradish, none of what you claim is in that petition.

Leaving is inevitable once article 50 is invoked.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st July 2016, 11:14 PM BST

I have a feeling that many people who voted in will now vote Corbyn.

Not me.

I would theoretically have voted for Attlee in 1945 and Wilson in 1964.

But I have never voted Labour - or Conservative - in a General Election in my life. :)

Quote: billwill @ 1st July 2016, 11:19 PM BST

Sorry, who (which of us above) lost ?

Horseradish, none of what you claim is in that petition.

Leaving is inevitable once article 50 is invoked.

I accept that leaving is inevitable once Article 50 is invoked. The point is that it's then for the PM - Theresa May I hope - to oversee the EU trade negotiations. If some people don't like it, there is a General Election in 2020.

(And in my opinion Lord Owen who is the only coherent Centre Left Brexiter apart from possibly Frank Field should be on the cross-party negotiating team once Art 50 has "happened" - http://www.lorddavidowen.co.uk/)

>As a precedent, a referendum on trade and on immigration opens the door to referendums

The precedent is already set. We already had a referendum on trade (though the immigration aspect was glossed over) the basis of the 1975 referendum, was

We joined without publishing the terms for the population to see, these are the terms now vote on whether we stay in the EEC or leave it.