Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ December 27 2011, 5:34 PM GMT

Cinema is a completely different beast to televison. Popularity in one does not guarantee success in the other, hence a Glee movie this year dying on its arse. And I suspect Ab Fab popularity is relative and not nearly enough to deliver a big opening weekend and beyond.

I don't think that they will be expecting to make a box-office blockbuster with it. I'm sure that the creators are aware that they're not doing "Star Wars" or "Pirates of the Caribbean". Like the "Arrested Development" film that is in the works, they are probably aiming for something that is not overblown but will put the characters in a situation where they can have some fun and please the fans. They will probably make some money and introduce the show to a few new people along the way - and so that will be a happy outcome. :)

It's finally here!

A most recent article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3319421/Joanna-Lumley-joined-Krankies-star-Absolutely-Fabulous-filming.html

I will obviously be seeing this - it looks the goods - glitzy, ironic and fabulous. Saunders and Lumley have earned their stripes in comedy as Edina and Patsy; two glamorously grotesque, champagne swilling battle-axes who have survived the whirlwinds of change in the world of high-fashion and celebrity in their own garish way. The fact that a devoted cult following spanning several generations have learned to laugh at and care about this demented duo is a huge tribute to Saunders's writing. It's great to see cameos from several eras of Ab Fab's influential commentary making appearances - including Emma Bunton, one of Eddie's top clients! What a joy also to see Kathy Burke return as Magda, Patsy's frighteningly efficient, catch-phrase-spewing boss and Celia Imrie as Claudia Bing, Edina's arch-rival in the PR business. I wonder what she's up to? Could she be involved in Eddie and Pats's misery in some way? I look forward to finding out! Of course, the delightful core cast is on hand; Julia Sawalha as Eddie's sensible, critical daughter Saffron (now with her own critical teenager), June Whitfield as Eddie's gently-caustic Mother and Jane Horrocks as Eddie's loopy PA, Bubble, and a host of favourite regulars. It will be fabulous (and critic-proof) indeed! :D :D :D :D

So, is it going to be any good?

I'm taking my Cineworld Unlimited Card to my local next week; I'll let you know.

Quote: zooo @ 27th December 2011, 10:12 AM GMT

Well I highly doubt I'll go to the cinema to watch it (if it's not another TV movie?), but I'll happily watch it when it comes on TV.

Why can't people just be happy with staying on the telly?

Because there's much more money available at the "Cinema".

Quote: Kenneth @ 29th June 2016, 6:08 PM BST

So, is it going to be any good?

The clips I have seen this week look hilarious. I reckon it will be a cracker and will spawn a follow up if it goes well. Jennifer said this week on'telly she would be happy to write a follow up.

Record number of cameo appearances apparently in any film.

I saw it last night. It's really, really fun. Lots of good laughs throughout. A riotous outrage of a film - exactly as you'd expect. I do recommend it.

Kylie Minogue singing the theme, a Dame Edna cameo and a recommendation from Aaron. OK, will watch.

Even if you hate the rest, it's worth it for Barry Humphries alone. Wonderful.

As you probably know I wasn't a great fan of the TV show - I thought it was a bit too OTT - but I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2016, 10:36 PM BST

As you probably know I wasn't a great fan of the TV show - I thought it was a bit too OTT - but I'm looking forward to seeing this.

I'm sure the film will be very restrained, Chappers.

I'm going to the 18:30 showing at the Greenwich Peninsula O2 next Tuesday or Wednesday evening. Feel free to join me and my mate. We both smell a little, but it's not our fault, it's glandular.

PS Mr TBN will remain at home, so this isn't carte blanche to come and turn my gaff over.

I've now seen it and was accompanied by Mr TBN, who was one of three men in the 80% empty cinema (it was a Monday matinee performance though ...)

We both enjoyed it and laughed along. It looked very vibrant on the big screen and all of the cast were giving their all. I would say, however, that the sheer weight of 'sleb cameos was a little OTT and half the time I kept thinking 'is that really Judith Chalmers/Biggins/Jean-Paul Gaultier?'

The 91 minute running time was perfect and I think fans of the original show will enjoy the chance to catch up with Eddie, Patsy and Saffy a decade or so on. Comedy Goddess June Whitfield was also excellent.

I actually quite liked this film. It was really funny and some great cameos in it too.