EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 25

Quote: Chappers @ 26th June 2016, 11:30 PM BST

With all the scaremongering by the Remains I'm surprised anyone voted to leave! Any right-minded person could see it was all bollocks!

And that's Politics for you. You're obviously quite young and naive.

Democracy is that the person who gets the most votes wins.

Democracy involves informed decisions, so if you have been informed wrongly . . .

. . . and it's the young and naive who were taken in by the lies, not me - and if you don't recognise that, you must be very stupid.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 26th June 2016, 11:38 PM BST

Democracy involves informed decisions, so if you have been informed wrongly . . .

. . . and it's the young and naive who were taken in by the lies, not me - and if you don't recognise that, you must be very stupid.

As I said it was all scaremongering from Remain. It was all negative, negative, negative. Nothing about the benefits of staying. All we were doing was haemorrhaging billions of pounds at an alarming rate with nothing to show for it.

I'm still waiting to hear what the benefits of staying are (particularly now we have a lower credit rating than Greece)! It was nothing but Union Jack waving twaddle, not to mention the racist stuff which utterly sickens me. NEITHER side made a good presentation.

The main planks of the Brexit argument have already been exposed as empty lies by the leaders themselves. Future generations of Britons will be unable to move and work freely in Europe. Scotland will leave the Union. Not much to be happy about...

Quote: beaky @ 27th June 2016, 11:01 AM BST

The main planks of the Brexit argument have already been exposed as empty lies by the leaders themselves. Future generations of Britons will be unable to move and work freely in Europe. Scotland will leave the Union. Not much to be happy about...

Precisely. And I have just been pointing out the facts about how unfairly the majority vote was achieved.

I am actually in favour of no longer being dictated to by a higher body at enormous cost, but as I wasn't sure of shorter term costs to people's lives (as no-one really was, or is yet) I voted in favour of continued stability, despite seeing the potential benefits long-term and justification for people voting to leave - whether I was wrong or not.

But my initial fears have since been realised given blatant racism in the street and other factors and I just thought that a 'leave' vote would bring all the scumbags out which could even lead to riots - and nobody wants that.

I doubt very much if a second vote will ever happen, but signed petition anyway as the voice of the people has to be heard and discussed if some of their votes were not from the heart, but determined purely by lies alone from exit campaign.

Farage always had a point, and was justified by his own beliefs as we are all entitled to our own opinion, but he has shot himself in the arse by saying that had the vote been in favour of remain by a few percent, he would have wanted another for a larger margin to feel he had 'won' fairly.

So am amazed that there hasn't been more made of this, given also that he said the claims that the money we paid to EU would be actually NOT be given to NHS after all, after the event, passing the buck to whoever - but again false and misleading campaigning in order to swing/win votes.

No-one can argue with the fact that this is a scandal - and that we have been conned into this decision, with some being gullible/suggestible or just figuring a protest vote wouldn't count - and I would be of same opinion if vote had swung other way as it has become more about splitting the country than splitting from Europe.

Just one more point I want to make regarding immigrants.

I have enormous empathy for foreign nationals who have made a life here, because if this country was more attractive to them and we let them in, why blame them?

It's not their fault.

If this country was crap, and we decided to move to a neighbouring country, and they let us in - why wouldn't we?

Don't give current legal nationals grief in the streets as a result of this, as they were simply given the option, so blame the people who allowed it to happen, not them.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 27th June 2016, 2:15 PM BST

blame the people who allowed it to happen

Isn't that what just happened? The people blamed the EU for excessive immigration and voted to leave because of it?

Just be thankful that despite the absurd campaigns that the vote was for LEAVE.

Because the EU is not what REMAINers think it is.

Read this, yes really read it. It is the kind of research that should have been done by everybody before voting.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/06/22/the-left-and-the-eu-why-cling-to-this-reactionary-institution/

Don't stop with just that article though, since you may not believe it; do your own research into the points it raises.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th June 2016, 2:30 PM BST

Isn't that what just happened? The people blamed the EU for excessive immigration and voted to leave because of it?

Yes, but normal people are now getting racial abuse in the street. Because the racists who DID vote Brexit for racist reasons, now think most of the country agrees with them. (Which they do not.)

I'm currently digging out all the English words and phrases that died out before 1910.

Then I intend to use them widely in conversation so that old people haven't got a clue what I am talking about, freak, and feel like Rastafarians in their own land.

Quote: zooo @ 27th June 2016, 3:55 PM BST

Yes, but normal people are now getting racial abuse in the street. Because the racists who DID vote Brexit for racist reasons, now think most of the country agrees with them. (Which they do not.)

Is it actually a new, rampant problem, or just a case of the media trying to incite outrage? I have no dog in this hunt, but I'm a bit sceptical that a massive wave of overt racism has suddenly washed over the UK.

Well, people on Twitter (etc) are saying that they are experiencing racist abuse when they never have before. Either hundreds of people have decided to lie for fun(?) or it's happening.

I haven't read about it in the press, just seen people talking about their own experiences on social media.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th June 2016, 4:19 PM BST

Is it actually a new, rampant problem, or just a case of the media trying to incite outrage? I have no dog in this hunt, but I'm a bit sceptical that a massive wave of overt racism has suddenly washed over the UK.

Obviously people haven't suddenly become racist. But the festering racism that they thought they had to keep hidden in public they now feel comfortable letting out - as I said, because their dumb little fascist brains think the only reason anyone voted Brexit was to 'get rid of the foreigns' (like they did). They think they're now in the majority.

Quote: zooo @ 27th June 2016, 4:26 PM BST

Well, people on Twitter (etc) are saying that they are experiencing racist abuse when they never have before. Either hundreds of people have decided to lie for fun(?) or it's happening.

I haven't read about it in the press, just seen people talking about their own experiences on social media.

Not that I have a lot of faith in the press these days, but I'm even less inclined to believe what a bunch of angry people are saying on Twitter.

I'm sure that racism is alive and well in the UK, but I find it hard to believe that people who have kept their views hidden from public view are now preaching it in the streets. The occasional incident has always been out there, but until there's proof that it's a widespread movement then I'm just going to assume nothing has really changed.

EDIT: I just came across this story: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/europe/racist-attacks-post-brexit/

"Police confirmed they were investigating two racially-motivated crimes" doesn't exactly sound like a tidal wave of racism. And aren't the incidents in question examples of xenophobia, not racism? As far as I know Poland is a nation and not a race.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 27th June 2016, 4:00 PM BST

I'm currently digging out all the English words and phrases that died out before 1910.

Then I intend to use them widely in conversation so that old people haven't got a clue what I am talking about, freak, and feel like Rastafarians in their own land.

Oi! Less of the old people. I voted Remain. Apart from that, it sounds like a good idea except that nobody of any age will understand! I'm constantly amazed at the words a lot of young people don't know. And try asking them if they've ever heard of Clementina Walkinshaw! Laughing out loud

Quote: DaButt @ 27th June 2016, 4:35 PM BST

EDIT: I just came across this story: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/europe/racist-attacks-post-brexit/

"Police confirmed they were investigating two racially-motivated crimes" doesn't exactly sound like a tidal wave of racism. And aren't the incidents in question examples of xenophobia, not racism? As far as I know Poland is a nation and not a race.

That's just a statement from the Polish Embassy.

The instances I've been reading about are from Indian, Pakistani, all sorts of people. Anyone brown, really. "Why are you still here, we voted you out," "Why aren't you at home packing," type remarks.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th June 2016, 4:35 PM BST

Not that I have a lot of faith in the press these days, but I'm even less inclined to believe what a bunch of angry people are saying on Twitter.

I'm sure that racism is alive and well in the UK, but I find it hard to believe that people who have kept their views hidden from public view are now preaching it in the streets. The occasional incident has always been out there, but until there's proof that it's a widespread movement then I'm just going to assume nothing has really changed.

Okay.
It's nice for us white people to be able to assume these things!