Some advice needed

Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster on here, only just come across these forums and thought this would be the best place to get a little advice/tips.

I'm a massive comedy fan, I've been writing jokes for about a year now, mainly one liners. I'm quite pleased with my work so far, and I have tried to see what other people think of them as often as I could (I tend to try and throw them into a conversation, or post them on Facebook). The majority of them have been fairly well received.

However, I really want to take this onto the stage at a few open mic nights, but I have the huge problem of being very shy. There's a part of me that believes trying the whole stand up comedy thing may help me overcome my shyness, but I could really use some advice on that one. I'm also having difficult finding places which hold open mic nights for comedy in my local area?

This is the first time in my life that I feel truly passionate about something, I love comedy, and I just love making people laugh, I really would like to give this a try.

Try Chortle most open mikes get advertised on there or Facebook almost comedy nights advertise there.