Upstart Crow - Series 1 Page 3

How can you say all that if you haven't seen it yet Alf? :S

Or is this to do with Mr Sunshine fluking you into 2nd place? Whistling nnocently :D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th May 2016, 8:49 AM BST

What a load of utter crap. Awful rubbish. Same old faces getting more work from their mates, same old tired writers getting primetime sitcoms even after a shuddering failure. Haven't seen it yet, I'll watch it later when I'm not busy stabbing myself in the head with a pitchfork. Angry

Rolling eyes

Null and void.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th May 2016, 8:49 AM BST

What a load of utter crap. Awful rubbish. Same old faces getting more work from their mates, same old tired writers getting primetime sitcoms even after a shuddering failure. Haven't seen it yet, I'll watch it later when I'm not busy stabbing myself in the head with a pitchfork. Angry

Same old faces? What on earth are you blathering about?
When was the last time Rob Rouse was on telly?
Paula Wilcox has been in Boomers and not much else recently and she was only in one scene.
Mark Heap hasn't been on TV for ages apart from playing Clive Dunn in Dads Army biopic
Liza Tarbuk hasn't been in anything for ages either.
The only two people who you can really accuse of being a 'same old face' are David Mitchell and Harry Enfield.
Enfield was only in one scene and as for Mitchell, yeah he's on panel shows and Peep show but this couldn't be any more different to those if tried.

Quote: Sarc @ 14th May 2016, 7:47 PM BST

Same old faces? What on earth are you blathering about?
When was the last time Rob Rouse was on telly?
Paula Wilcox has been in Boomers and not much else recently and she was only in one scene.
Mark Heap hasn't been on TV for ages apart from playing Clive Dunn in Dads Army biopic
Liza Tarbuk hasn't been in anything for ages either.
The only two people who you can really accuse of being a 'same old face' are David Mitchell and Harry Enfield.
Enfield was only in one scene and as for Mitchell, yeah he's on panel shows and Peep show but this couldn't be any more different to those if tried.

Dominic Coleman was in Miranda and Trollied. Helen Monks was in Raised by Wolves, but I wouldn't call her well known.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th May 2016, 9:21 AM BST

Dominic Coleman was in Miranda and Trollied. Helen Monks was in Raised by Wolves, but I wouldn't call her well known.

So in other words it's one known face in something completely different to what he's done before, I think that pretty much sums it up.

It would have been better if the Ricky Gervais part had been played by Ricky Gervais, but he doesn't get on well with most other comedians, does he? Mind you, I thought that neither did Ben Elton much these days.

I only have one slight problem with the show

It's not funny

Other than that it's very average

Plus I hate the way they keep crowbarring stupid references to present day things and sayings - it's naff and not remotely clever or funny

Alas

Not so good this week, sad to say.

Yes, you're right: kind of enjoyable, but I didn't laugh this time. And please don't tell me there's going to be a rail travel gag every single week.

I would like to see a little more of the family, perhaps they'll show up in future eps.

Also, the relationship with Kate, regarding her acting, seems to have gone backwards from last week. Evidence of showing the eps out of order, I guess.

Humble pie time . . . and am munching my words now - crust and all.

Seems to have gone the way of the pear - or the Windsors.

Meh. :(

Oh dear, we're watching Ep2 at the moment and it's just not funny. As I'm a Blackadder buff I think that it's a case of either Richard Curtis quelling some of Ben Elton's bombastic ways or the fact that David Mitchell can't act his way out of a paper bag.

I wanted to like it, I really did.

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th May 2016, 6:25 PM BST

I only have one slight problem with the show

It's not funny

Other than that it's very average

Plus I hate the way they keep crowbarring stupid references to present day things and sayings - it's naff and not remotely clever or funny

Alas

Agree.

I may be a bit thick here (yes I know) and it may have already been explained/mentioned here, but where exactly does the title come from? Is it some sort of smart arse in-joke?

http://www.literarygenius.info/william-shakespeare-upstart-crow.htm

Daily Telegraph critic summed it up perfectly:

"The main problem? The central joke - the fact that Shakespeare, or Will as he's known here, is a bit wordy - is already wearing thin. "I always think a sentence sounds better if you mix up the words a bit, it's one of my tricks," . . .

. . . and women playing women not being the done thing in Elizabethan times. Yep, that joke is done to death too.

The trouble is, the knowing references ("a play within a play, that's not gonna work") have worn off already, making it more like a risqué version of Horrible Histories than an adult sitcom."

Quote: Nil Putters @ 10th May 2016, 10:08 PM BST

Rob Rouse, as always, was terrible.

Which one is he? I don't think I've ever heard of him before.