Detectorists - Series 2 Page 3

I think it feels perfect! Great tantalising end to the series, having teased us with their near-discovery at the end of Series 1. Anything could happen now, and that's just here in England: could be the start of a major horde discovery; could be found to be fake; Lance might develop a superiority complex; Andy might then discover a whole new missing link of evolution and put him back in his place.

I didn't care much for Series 1 but have loved this run. Looking forward to the special, and surely a Series 3 is all but guaranteed?

Quote: Agnostik @ 4th December 2015, 1:16 PM GMT

I'm not so sure about this ending, to be honest. This is one of the things that should only be done in the very last episode of the show, and even then I can't say I would be 100% okay with it. Over two series it's been about the futility of the process and about enjoying it in a zen-like manner, and then Lance finds gold and... I don't know, it doesn't feel right in the context of everything we've seen so far.

That's why it should now end ala Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones.

"I didn't care much for Series 1 but have loved this run. Looking forward to the special, and surely a Series 3 is all but guaranteed?

BCG Editor"

Not care for series one? That's why I pay little store in your reviews!

Quote: gb901 @ 4th December 2015, 4:30 PM GMT

Not care for series one? That's why I pay little store in your reviews!

That's good. 'Cos I don't do reviews. Just occasional personal thoughts.

A great final episode. I'm looking forward to the Christmas Special.

I can't figure out why I loved this show so much, but it is SO easy to digest. Sweet, gently paced, funny and the characters are developing nicely. And the cinematography is fantastic.
One of my fav shows currently, hope they deliver a couple more series!

Best British comedy series since Father Ted and that wasn't even British. I had a moist eye at the end of the 12th one which didn't happen with the last of the 12 episodes of the great Fawlty Towers but it could occur on occasions with the even greater Only Fools. The dialogue, the acting, the music, the scenery, the style, yes, but perhaps especially the characterisation. Except for the German, they were all real people who you would want to know - I would become a detectorist now except that most detectorists are probably boring - and in Sheila there is one of the stand-out comedy women of all time. Great cameo from Diana Rigg as Veronica too.

11 out of 10.

Excellent series, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 27th November 2015, 8:38 PM GMT

She has always been a sarcastic and condescending individual.

But I still would...

Quote: gb901 @ 3rd December 2015, 11:56 PM GMT

Russell is one of the best characters imo: his realisation that Hugh was in fact 32 years of age was classic!

Yes, Pearce Quigley has excellent comedy timing; I thought he did a lot to carry the first couple of episodes which were a bit plot heavy and joke light, but overall another very enjoyable series.

Good to see Bishop making cameo in the penultimate episode; fantastic character much missed this time round.

The jewel they discovered in case anyone is interested is an æstel. An ivory pointer would have been inserted in the end for use as a reading aid. It is identical to the Alfred Jewel in the Ashmolean, but that is quite credible as Alfred sent each bishopric an æstel with his translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.

Quote: Tursiops @ 5th December 2015, 3:37 PM GMT

But I still would...

Plus a side order of Dame Diana. Eh? Eh, my friend :P

Quote: gb901 @ 5th November 2015, 11:59 PM GMT

Becky is really pisding me off this series with her prepossession with upping sticks and going to Africa with the vsa: she's got a baby for gods sake!

It was an outstanding performance.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th December 2015, 2:54 PM GMT

could be the start of a major horde discovery; could be found to be fake;

But we saw right at the start that it was a single item buried in a hurry, so not part of a horde, nor a fake.

Quote: Nogget @ 6th December 2015, 8:27 AM GMT

But we saw right at the start that it was a single item buried in a hurry, so not part of a horde, nor a fake.

Very good point. I'd forgotten all about that sequence.

The Special:
An elegant way to reset everything.

Quote: gb901 @ 12th November 2015, 11:49 PM GMT

But they don't f**k off to Timbuktu with a newborn baby just because they're having a midlife crisis!

Indeed they don't - thanks gb!

I have just got around to seeing the Christmas Special - what are others' views? It was ok, but nothing hugely amusing. Nicely acted though.

Just finished binge-ing on Seasons 1 and 2 on Acorn. Loved this series! As a long time detectorist, I appreciated the respectful attitude toward this hobby and participants. A previous poster stated that the German character rang false. I agree. Now, waiting for the 3rd season!

Two excellent series so far, and hopefully more to come from this ragged band of detectorists. Very good Christmas special too. MORE PLEASE!