Detectorists - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ 13th November 2015, 10:41 AM GMT

Just caught the first ep. I do love its blend of gentle passive-aggressive comedy and fantastic scenery.

The whole BOAT/Bit Off A Tractor, POACH/Part Of A Combine Harvester bit was funny.

The Acronyms were indeed very funny, and so well delivered.

I particularly liked Diana Rigg's footwork, chipping the Method statement on how to look after baby into touch........

Quote: gb901 @ 5th November 2015, 11:59 PM GMT

Becky is really pisding me off this series with her prepossession with upping sticks and going to Africa with the vsa: she's got a baby for gods sake!

Agreed.

I am completely hooked on this comedy. I think it is, in part, the rustic setting. Dare I say it sometimes reminds me of Last of the Summer Wine. Pretty gentle plots, pastoral music. I bet they all end up careering down a hill in a bath at some point. The acting is first rate, which always helps. There are definitely a few lines in the script that would have fallen flat without the excellent comic sensibilities of Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones. But, as another post says, it also finds humour in the odd activities of quiet people. It is, in this sense, very British. And it's on tonight so I must set the VCR.

Becky's selfishness is really pissing me off now!

Quote: gb901 @ 27th November 2015, 12:13 AM GMT

Beckys selfishness is really pissing me off now!

Hormones ;)

So, they aren't Simon and Garfunkel then :D Nearly spat my tea out.

Would you prefer her to be "a little woman"?

Quote: gb901 @ 27th November 2015, 12:13 AM GMT

Becky's selfishness is really pissing me off now!

She has always been a sarcastic and condescending individual.

This is an enjoyable show. I love just about everything about it. Hats off to all involved with bringing it to the screen.

Just watched episode 5. I'm still enjoying it. Although I felt that this episode was a bit comedy light and more drama heavy than previous episodes.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th November 2015, 3:31 PM GMT

Would you prefer her to be "a little woman"?

No - just not the selfish, centred bitch she's become!

Absolutely f**king brilliant. Quality maintained to ensure it is the best British sitcom of this century to date along with being visually Thomas Hardy meets Homeward Bound. I particularly like the way they took notice of my slight criticism about the swearing being misplaced and ensured not only that it continued but was directly addressed by Andy to Becky. Pure genius and it shows the c**ts are in touch with the real world.

Russell is one of the best characters imo: his realisation that Hugh was in fact 32 years of age was classic!

Christmas special? But surely that's it - Lance has struck gold and Andy's off to Africa! Should have taken cue from Fawlty Towers and ended on high after 2 series.
The look on Lance's face upon his discovery was brilliant and never to be forgotten.

Basically, this series proved that this show is gold. Wave

I'm not so sure about this ending, to be honest. This is one of the things that should only be done in the very last episode of the show, and even then I can't say I would be 100% okay with it. Over two series it's been about the futility of the process and about enjoying it in a zen-like manner, and then Lance finds gold and... I don't know, it doesn't feel right in the context of everything we've seen so far.