I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,777

Quote: Loopey @ 14th November 2015, 9:16 AM GMT

Terrible news. We have only just found out that friends and family there are safe. They are on a hen do.

Thank heavens for that. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th November 2015, 9:07 AM GMT

put no nonsense units like the grenadiers and paras in towns like Marseilles to stop the constant law breaking, anti French hostility and pro islamist crap. Give the bastards a lesson on how to live in a civilised country.

Do that and the terrorists have won...

You have to remember that one of the main aims of a terrorist attack is to provoke an overreaction from the state.

Quote: zooo @ 14th November 2015, 9:56 AM GMT

That's right, but the difference on this occasion is that there is a clear aim of discouraging western intervention in Syria. Previously I was dead set against Britain becoming involved but now I'm thinking that perhaps that is the reaction that is required.

It's a lovely sentiment.

But every terrorist organisation in history from ETA to the IRA via the Irgun have had support.

They are small deadly fishies in a vast ocean of passive support.

And when that ocean of support was drained they were just little fishies, no harm to anyone.

This was a huge and well organised attack. It needed dozens to actively support it and I'm afraid thousands to look the other way.

As long as these attacks take place there may well already be a "clash of civilisations"

we're just choosing to ignore it, as it offends our sensibilities.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th November 2015, 9:20 AM GMT

Thank heavens for that. :)

Thank you. We just heard some more; they were in a restaurant nearby when it started and they were told to get out as quickly as they could. They got back to their hotel and are currently waiting there to hear if they can get home.

My daughter in law was supposed to fly out and join them today. I am so very grateful that they are ok but my thoughts are of course with those who didn't make it.
Teary

Quote: playfull @ 14th November 2015, 9:50 AM GMT

You have to remember that one of the main aims of a terrorist attack is to provoke an overreaction from the state.

I agree, what I hope for is that the various governments who are capable to act consider this as the massive criminal offence that it is (mass murder, bodily harm, destruction of property, etc.) and seek to arrest colluders and anyone suspected of a criminal offence in connection with it and try them in the courts as normal. They are criminals so that's what we as so-called 'civilised societies' around the world do with criminals. We already have the law, we need to enforce the laws we have and possibly we need new laws to meet new threats. That's 'as usual' too, the law needs to evolve as much as anything else does.

Quote: Loopey @ 14th November 2015, 12:17 PM GMT

Thank you. We just heard some more; they were in a restaurant nearby when it started and they were told to get out as quickly as they could. They got back to their hotel and are currently waiting there to hear if they can get home.

My daughter in law was supposed to fly out and join them today. I am so very grateful that they are ok but my thoughts are of course with those who didn't make it.
Teary

Hope they get back OK, Tig. :)

Quote: Loopey @ 14th November 2015, 12:17 PM GMT

but my thoughts are of course with those who didn't make it.
Teary

Yes same here. Not just the tourists but the French, they're a good lot really and don't deserve the murderous mayhem they're receiving from these peace hating pieces of shite. 130 and counting plus all the injured plus all the associated families and friends. Plus the fear factor of going to Paris and the economic cost. That's a very heavy toll by modern standards.

Quote: playfull @ 14th November 2015, 9:50 AM GMT

Do that and the terrorists have won...

But another of their goals is to portray themselves as so violent, ruthless and overpowering that people will be too afraid to fight. A classic example is the mass atrocities committed in Iraq and Syria by ISIS that caused entire military bases and cities to panic and run for the hills.

Islamist organizations like ISIS and al Qaeda don't necessarily want a fight (although they seem to revel in it), what they want is full capitulation. It will never happen, so the longterm result will be a series of attacks and reprisals for the foreseeable future. We'll just go on killing each other.

The one big change will be Europe's willingness to continue accepting Muslim immigrants and refugees. Anti-immigration groups and politicians were handed a big victory yesterday.

Quote: zooo @ 14th November 2015, 9:56 AM GMT

So this Nadir prat is suggesting we all do nothing and keep letting them butcher our civilians in the street with no retaliation? He's a deluded liberal nutjob and he's avoiding or ignoring all the sickening tweets and shows of support for these vile acts of mass murder from many average French muslims he declares to support.

That's what I'm suggesting the French government clamps down on, the not so innocent everyday muslim who sneeringly shows who he really supports without any comeback. Enough! Track them down, put tags and internet curfews on them. The French have shown too much leniency to disrespectful west and Christian hating muslims. Now apply the laws they already have to tell them they cannot show this disgraceful support for butcherers of fellow citizens.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th November 2015, 3:12 PM GMT

So this Nadir prat is suggesting we all do nothing and keep letting them butcher our civilians in the street with no retaliation?

Where does he say that, then?

Quote: DaButt @ 14th November 2015, 2:25 PM GMT

what they want is full capitulation.

The one big change will be Europe's willingness to continue accepting Muslim immigrants and refugees. Anti-immigration groups and politicians were handed a big victory yesterday.

Let's bloody hope so. Shame about the good peaceful ones but it's time to treat them all as potential dangers to us. Block them out and send them back whenever we can. The muslim in the west experiment has not worked, they can't live here peacefully so send them back to the lands they support. F**k PC and the EU, just do it.

Quote: zooo @ 14th November 2015, 3:17 PM GMT

Where does he say that, then?

Well it looks like the clear inference of the whole piece to me. No islamiphobic backlash translates into reality as 'do nothing or you'll harm all muslims' reputation.'

I don't see how. But okay.

Someone will get harassed on a train and the YouTube video will get a lot of panties in a bunch, but that's not an indication of widespread Islamophobia. It should be fairly obvious that the actual backlash will come in the form of bullets and bombs aimed at the heads of ISIS and their supporters.

Will the friendly match against France at Wembley really go ahead on Tuesday? I don't think I would want to be there somehow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34816905