Boy Meets Girl - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 27th September 2015, 12:16 PM BST

Hopefully, although I note that Leo only had a single bed.

Well that makes it more fun.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2015, 9:13 PM BST

I suppose it all depends how this series finishes.

According to the latest spoiler Chappers, in the last episode Judy realises that she is actually gay and needs to find a way to let Leo down gently. Poor Leo but tees 2nd series up nicely.

This can't be happening on our television screens.

Another awful episode.

More forced information on the issue, treating us like idiots.

Then Pam, though she seems a little harsh, her reaction was no way believable, then it tried to spoon feed us the idea that 'as long as he's happy, isn't that the main thing and you should forget that she was a man!'. Oh, really, like transgender people are normal? Wow, didn't know, cheers for the message. Pam's happy as long as her son's happy, she's not a bigot after all! True change exists!

Then Leo, Jesus, after one date with a forty year old woman, he thought she was the one, then after a few weeks, he wants to marry her - does he even know her job yet? Any woman would be running a mile, he's clearly insane.

The ending - I can't find the words, a bit like the writer who clearly didn't have an ending, it made no sense.

It's so patronising that the people behind this show think they are far more educated on the issue and we all need guidance - I expect the next BBC sitcom to be focused on how to eat.

I think we are ignorant, but telling people stuff doesn't really work. You might as well do a public information film.

I thought that Ep6 wasn't awful, a few laughs, but generally fairly warm. I agree that Pam's volte face wasn't particularly believable and it's probably something the character will mention at every given opportunity during S2.

What did people think of Judy's sister?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 9th October 2015, 5:04 PM BST

Funny.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 9th October 2015, 5:04 PM BST

The woman whose journey through the series ended with the realisation that, as long as there's still some man somewhere prepared to have sex with her, there's absolutely no need for a woman to worry about her physical appearance?

I foresee a spin-off series!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th October 2015, 8:19 AM BST

The woman whose journey through the series ended with the realisation that, as long as there's still some man somewhere prepared to have sex with her, there's absolutely no need for a woman to worry about her physical appearance?

I foresee a spin-off series!

Spot on I reckon.

I saw this on iPlayer under the comedy section.

I wasn't aware of it and thought I'd give it a go. Episode one wasn't available so it was straight to episode 2.

I don't really have much patience for comedies if they don't grab me. I don't give them a second chance. I value my time and don't want to waste it in the hope that a show might eventually make me laugh.

Episode 2 was terrible. I didn't laugh once. I agree with many of the comments here that I think the subject matter is an interesting one and one that needs to be approached with empathy. But the jokes just weren't funny, they were poor and the supporting cast were just characters picked off the sitcom character cliche shelf and completely over acted.

Horrible.

I won't be wasting anymore time on this.

And it's not boy meets girl. It's young chap meets middle aged woman.

Quote: Grumpy Young Bloke @ 11th October 2015, 6:16 PM BST

I saw this on iPlayer under the comedy section.

I wasn't aware of it and thought I'd give it a go. Episode one wasn't available so it was straight to episode 2.

I don't really have much patience for comedies if they don't grab me. I don't give them a second chance. I value my time and don't want to waste it in the hope that a show might eventually make me laugh.

Episode 2 was terrible. I didn't laugh once. I agree with many of the comments here that I think the subject matter is an interesting one and one that needs to be approached with empathy. But the jokes just weren't funny, they were poor and the supporting cast were just characters picked off the sitcom character cliche shelf and completely over acted.

Horrible.

I won't be wasting anymore time on this.

And it's not boy meets girl. It's young chap meets middle aged woman.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Yours sincerely

A Middle Aged Woman.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th October 2015, 8:04 PM BST

You're entitled to your opinion.

Yours sincerely

A Middle Aged Woman.

Now now, no need to get all touchy is there?

I wasn't having a pop at middle aged women. I was merely hilighting what I felt to be an inaccurate title. He's not a boy and she's not a girl. I know plenty of women who would prefer to be called women rather than girls.

Yours sincerely,

A thirty four year old trapped under the forehead of a fifty five year old.

Quote: Grumpy Young Bloke @ 11th October 2015, 9:59 PM BST

Now now, no need to get all touchy is there?

I wasn't having a pop at middle aged women. I was merely hilighting what I felt to be an inaccurate title. He's not a boy and she's not a girl. I know plenty of women who would prefer to be called women rather than girls.

Yours sincerely,

A thirty four year old trapped under the forehead of a fifty five year old.

Oh, what an image that elicits in one's head.

I agree, the title was a tad trite. I did enjoy the show though, although it seems to have divided opinion on here. I'd say that, after watching all six episodes that the great cast made up for a slightly lackluster script.

I thought the title Boy Meets Girl was just a nod to the classic rom-com setup of boy meets girl, loses girl, wins girl back. So I didn't have a problem with that. It was supposed to be a classic love story but not as we know it.

If you look at Transparent, they did a comedy drama in a modern way. This was very much like Hebburn but not as good. It seemed a bit rushed. There were lots of implausible scenarios that seemed to be so obviously done for setup plus a lot of cliche jokes. An original concept done in an old-fashioned way.

Transparent also didn't mind showing the ugly side of people's reactions. I don't think it happened enough with the key characters. By the end of the series everyone accepted them and they sailed off to the sunset together so I would assume there isn't scope for another series unless they go down the having a child road.

Especially as they didn't spend time with Judy and her work as this would be an environment we'd be interested in seeing, plus Leo and his mates which would be a big deal to reveal Judy too. These are two areas that were ignored (so we must assume don't exist) that must be impacted greatly to anyone in a new relationship and sex change.

So a bit too sugar-coated and lacking in originality and comedy for me.

How about Bland Nothingness Meets Woman.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 13th October 2015, 10:39 PM BST

How about Bland Nothingness Meets Woman.

That's a little harsh. Leo had, erm a Mr Byrite suit, size eight feet and a semi-fashionable hairstyle replete with product.

He had no job though and his inability to gain rewarding and fulfilling employment was one of the main story arcs. Being sacked in Ep1 was harsh. Maybe he could have sought career advice and retrained as an abattoir worker as he'd be able to retain his hairstyle under the paper hat and rubber boots are available in size eight everywhere?