Things that piss you off Page 1,617

Quote: NateSean @ 1st September 2015, 11:07 PM BST

Well, to be clear, I haven't told anyone about this yet.

I was at the library this morning, finishing up my computer session. I did not make eye contact with another patron who was on a computer and I did not know or recognize this person, and I very much doubt he knew me.

On my way out of the library, he's there, right behind me. He actually gets in front of me and says, "How are you today?" and puts his hand out at me.

The hindsight detectives will say that the guy was just trying to be friendly. Except that he clearly was in the middle of his own computer session, as he bolted back into the library when I told him to have a nice day, with as much rancor as I could muster.

He made me uncomfortable and I'm sorry, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who look at the situation and tell me that I was overreacting.

That sounds very weird and therefore you should, indeed, have had more sympathy from friends/relatives.

Was he trying to flirt with you? Sounds like the sort of thing men do to women all the time.

Quote: NateSean @ 1st September 2015, 11:07 PM BST

Well, to be clear, I haven't told anyone about this yet.

I was at the library this morning, finishing up my computer session. I did not make eye contact with another patron who was on a computer and I did not know or recognize this person, and I very much doubt he knew me.

On my way out of the library, he's there, right behind me. He actually gets in front of me and says, "How are you today?" and puts his hand out at me.

The hindsight detectives will say that the guy was just trying to be friendly. Except that he clearly was in the middle of his own computer session, as he bolted back into the library when I told him to have a nice day, with as much rancor as I could muster.

He made me uncomfortable and I'm sorry, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who look at the situation and tell me that I was overreacting.

He probably mis-recognised you as someone he knew slightly and then scarpered back to his computer when he realised his mistake.

Printers:
It seems every manufacturer of every printer wants to lock you in by only supplying a small amount of ink or toner with a brand new printer.
Not only that but new cartridges are more expensive than the actual printer.

So they are saying we can make an electronic laser printer with all that, that entails for 'this amount' but the 4 toner plastic cartridges cost a lot more to make - bull droppings!

And as an added rip off, all the printers have a secret counter inside that disables the printer when it has printed a set number of pages regardless of how much toner is left.
(you can actually buy 'chips' that will reset the counter and it will run for months saying it has no toner)

I hear what you are saying Steve, but (hope I don't regret this now what with sod's law) my Epson has been running OK for a number of years now even with cheap replacement cartridges.

Well I had a really good HP colour laser printer that told me it had run out of toner a year ago. It also said replace photo-drum.

The cost to replace these was over £400 with originals and over £300 with fakes.
I bought a 'chip' from eBay (£5) not expecting much but it has chugged on for a year printing text and graphics beautifully.

But it really has now run out of everything and is basically a big lump of useless machinery. (off to the tip we go)

With a bit of clever shopping around I found the printer I wanted at a good price.
My local PC world and Staples and computer shop wanted £100 more than I could buy it online for and If I ordered it with XL toner cartridges it was still cheaper - just got to wait while Friday now before I can send out my August bills :)

Here's one for you Steve - electric cable, GRRR!!. No matter where you are or what you are doing, it will take on a life of its own and loop around anything in the near vicinity - door knobs, slightly protruding nails, chair arms, cup of coffee on the work-top, under the bottom of doors, round your foot etc. et f**king cetera................. Angry

Being a sparky, the cable snagging thing has cropped up so many times.
I have often said though; that if you were falling off a cliff and the only thing to grab on to was an electric cable - it wouldn't bloody snag that time.

Laughing out loud Yup, typical and ironic in my case as you know - I could never be a sparks. :D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd September 2015, 9:34 AM BST

Printers:
It seems every manufacturer of every printer wants to lock you in by only supplying a small amount of ink or toner with a brand new printer.
Not only that but new cartridges are more expensive than the actual printer.

So they are saying we can make an electronic laser printer with all that, that entails for 'this amount' but the 4 toner plastic cartridges cost a lot more to make - bull droppings!

And as an added rip off, all the printers have a secret counter inside that disables the printer when it has printed a set number of pages regardless of how much toner is left.
(you can actually buy 'chips' that will reset the counter and it will run for months saying it has no toner)

That's one way of looking at it, but in reality the price of the printer is discounted so that they can make money on selling the ink/toner.

I remember the days not so very long ago when the printers were sold at 'normal price' for electronic goods and they were MUCH more expensive than now.

I gave a "young lad" with a bad rep a chance to prove himself and earn a bit of money by doing the weeding and general bits and bobs in my garden. He turned up on the first day and did a great job - I was impressed.

Not seen him since though - bloody toerag!

[/oldgitrant]

Quote: Lee @ 2nd September 2015, 3:58 PM BST

I gave a "young lad" with a bad rep a chance to prove himself and earn a bit of money by doing the weeding and general bits and bobs in my garden. He turned up on the first day and did a great job - I was impressed.

Not seen him since though - bloody toerag!

He's passed out after shooting up the heroin that you paid for. Way to go, Mr. Enabler.

:D What do you think I was paying him in?

People who use side lights.
What are they saying?
'I can't see you' or 'You can't see me'
In both cases totally piss useless.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 2nd September 2015, 8:58 PM BST

People who use side lights.
What are they saying?
'I can't see you' or 'You can't see me'
In both cases totally piss useless.

I use sidelights when it isn't that dark but may be a bit dusky. Helps to be seen surely.