Fawlty Towers Page 8

Just watching Lost in Space and decided to look up Jonathan Harris who played Zachary Smith.

The Wikipedia entry (I know you can never trust it) says the following.

From 1963-65, Harris co-starred in the sitcom The Bill Dana Show. He played "Mr. Phillips", the pompous manager of a posh hotel who is constantly at odds with his bumbling Bolivian bellhop, the Bill Dana character, "José Jiménez." This formula presaged the popular John Cleese hotel comedy, Fawlty Towers.

Interesting. I don't know if that is total rubbish or there was any similarity.

Cleese has said in the past that Basil Fawlty was based on a real life guy that was very rude to the Pythons while they were staying in his hotel. All the other Pythons left as a result but Cleese and Connie stayed longer because they were encapsulated by the man. All they had to do was surround Fawlty with conflicting characters. I'm sure there were other influences but the premise is really simple for there to be a direct influence on the whole thing.

Well the anecdotes about Donald Sinclair don't mention a Manuel character, so maybe he came from here?

Typical Wikipedia guff. The pompous, overbearing hotel manager as a comedic character has existed for a very very long time, well before The Bill Dana Show. Cleese, basing Basil on the rude, intolerant individual who hosted the Pythons in Torquay, simply took it to new heights.

Quote: italophile @ 31st August 2015, 7:23 AM BST

Typical Wikipedia guff. The pompous, overbearing hotel manager as a comedic character has existed for a very very long time, well before The Bill Dana Show. Cleese, basing Basil on the rude, intolerant individual who hosted the Pythons in Torquay, simply took it to new heights.

I think they mean the Manuel character.

Que?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 2:43 PM BST

Que?

Good ol' Manuel!

Quote: Chappers @ 30th August 2015, 8:19 PM BST

Just watching Lost in Space and decided to look up Jonathan Harris who played Zachary Smith.

The Wikipedia entry (I know you can never trust it) says the following.

From 1963-65, Harris co-starred in the sitcom The Bill Dana Show. He played "Mr. Phillips", the pompous manager of a posh hotel who is constantly at odds with his bumbling Bolivian bellhop, the Bill Dana character, "José Jiménez." This formula presaged the popular John Cleese hotel comedy, Fawlty Towers.

Interesting. I don't know if that is total rubbish or there was any similarity.

Could be some influence although Cleese has said Manuel sprung from his (mis)management films which were really the starting block for FT. I'm sure I've asked before if these were ever taped? Can't remember the answer.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st September 2015, 10:48 AM BST

management films ... I'm sure I've asked before if these were ever taped?

:)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 31st August 2015, 3:00 PM BST

Good ol' Manuel!

That picture is taken from the spin off series where Manuel moves to Hawaii and becomes a private detective.

I've just watched "The Germans" on Yesterday. Laughed out loud but realised it wouldn't be allowed today.

The next programme on Yesterday? "True evil - making of a Nazi."

Who says they don't plan their schedules?

But Yesterday just allowed it today. Or was that yesterday now? :S

Quote: Aaron @ 1st September 2015, 5:53 PM

:)

Copied onto TV tape I Think I meant. The originals were only used on film projectors in offices weren't they? I've always wanted to see some because I know someone who watched them as part of his sales training and said everyone loved them. Then soon after FT appeared on TV. I was wondering with all the FT DVDs why none of them thought of including some. Should've.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th October 2019, 1:02 AM

I've just watched "The Germans" on Yesterday. Laughed out loud but realised it wouldn't be allowed today.

It would be allowed today, since the target of the joke are not the Germans but Basil's own prejudice.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th October 2019, 9:39 AM

It would be allowed today, since the target of the joke are not the Germans but Basil's own prejudice.

The problem is that the episode would today cause massive and widespread offence to millions of viewers who took a less sympathetic view.

In this day and age, in which millions of people apparently live for no reason other than to take offence at every possible opportunity (and often on behalf of other people, rather than themselves) there would be no shortage of zealots keen to march on Broadcasting House, carrying pitchforks and flaming torches, if that particular episode were to be screened.

In comedy today, the only way to get away with comedy based on the senior Nazis is to condemn them unreservedly and to make it perfectly plain that that's what you're doing. Such condemnation can be subtle or blatant - but it has, at the very least, to be discernible.

Basil, in stark contrast, got huge laughs by employing senior Nazis as a basis for a comedy routine without in any way seeking to criticise their political philosophies.

There is little difference between what Basil did and what Prince Harry did by turning up at a party wearing a swastika armband.

Both men's actions were either harmless fun or an absolute effing outrage - depending on one's point of view.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th October 2019, 9:39 AM

So why won't they show Til Death us do Part?