Marx Brothers Page 3

Just watching A Day at the Races. Some brilliant stuff and I'm laughing like a looney - especially at Harpo.

Just put on "A night in Casablanca" because I'm bored. Come on - do your stuff!

Quote: Griff @ March 18 2011, 9:01 AM BST

A Day At The Races is great. I have a lithograph of the film poster in my front room:

A lithograph mark you! :D

Good man, top film!!

Quote: Chappers @ April 27 2011, 10:21 PM BST

Just put on "A night in Casablanca" because I'm bored. Come on - do your stuff!

Not one of their best, but not their worst. Apparently it was during the making of this film that Groucho (in particular) decided he was tired of doing the same old shtick. The brothers were shooting a scene in "Casablanca" late one evening - Groucho and the others having to constantly re-take some slapstick bit... Anyway, after they'd finished filming, he approached Harpo and said "Have you had enough?". And Harpo nodded. They only made one more proper feature together after this.

Sounds like the Cream documentary I was just watching. Ginger Baker was always pissed off with Jack Bruce and Clapton had to be the peacemaker. They nearly didn't get as far as their final US shows in 2005.

Anyone yet to discover these boys is in for the rarest of treats. Groucho's wit was like a laser beam. Google up some clips of him on 'You Bet Your Life' in the 1950s, and you'll get the flavour.

I think this is my favourite example of Groucho's genius (and humanity): When Groucho took his young daughter to a uber-snooty Hollywood country club, she wanted to have a dip in their swimming pool. The club manager said: "Sorry Mr Marx, but we don't allow Jews in our pool". Groucho came straight back with: "My daughter's only half Jewish......can she go in up to her waist?"

Norma Miller, who played a black singer on A Day at the Races was interviewed on BBC Breakfast here.

Watching Animal Crackers on DVD. I've got all the best ones. Not seen it for ages. Still hilarious.

Elements of the Fallen Madonna.

Did you see the recent interview with Norma Miller above?

Totally missed that Paul as it sliped off my radar. Will have a look.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th February 2015, 9:23 AM GMT

Norma Miller, who played a black singer on A Day at the Races was interviewed on BBC Breakfast here.

Fantastic dancer. I love watching that sort of stuff.

It's amazing that she's been going so long!

Well she was fit, athletic and extremely agile. That does help.

Fit and athletic aren't quite the same thing. Pushing yourself as a dancer is rather unhealthy.

She had several parts (girlfriends?) in Sanford and Son.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 23rd August 2015, 11:00 PM BST

She had several parts (girlfriends?) in Sanford and Son.

I think you'll find that girlfriends' parts belong in the Innuendo thread.

I'm surprised we don't have a Groucho Marx thread as for me he has some of the best one liners ever written. Just found out Harpo was Christened Adolph.