How do I break into comedy?

I am young and inexperienced but I am desperate to write comedy. However, I have no idea where to start. I have been writing sketches as much as possible to improve my writing, but what can I do to get noticed? Is stand-up the only way to get noticed by someone? Is there a way I can get an apprenticeship on writing comedy? If I continue to practise and get better, what is most likely to get me seen/read by people that can give me opportunities?

Thanks for the help.

If the sketches are topical have you tried the Newsrevue or (the other one in Brighton - the name escapes me for now). There are threads on them here.

Otherwise there are others on here who've had a degree of success who could point you in the right direction.

If the sketches are topical have you tried the Newsrevue or (the other one in Brighton - the name escapes me for now). There are threads on them here.

Otherwise there are others on here who've had a degree of success who could point you in the right direction.

As you're based in Scotland, you might like to Google Beyond A Joke, where they act out sketches in front of an audience.

Oh, and the Brighton stage sketch show, the name of which has escaped Chappers, is The Treason Show.

Also, there's a new BBC sketch opportunity here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/class-dismissed-sketch-writing-initiative

Breaking into things tends to be illegal.

It's great that you write sketches to practice. But if no one is going to see them, then it's almost pointless. There is no map to success, you just have to work hard and make yourself standout, I suppose.

Try to get loads of experience, go watch comedy live, watch it recorded, listen and absorb as much as you can. Soak up genus and learn from where comedy goes bad. At the sametime, get firsthand at success and failure. Enter into any competitions you see, Tweet like a bastard some of your jokes and musings. Create things for YouTube. Basically spread yourself around like a dirty whore. See what works and what doesn't. Things will catch on, most of it won't. Grow a thick skin.

Standup is most certainly not the only root but it's a bloody good one to get instant feedback on how good you are.

Success won't come to you. Go out there and grab opportunities. You're young, you're full of jizzum, go getum mate!

Or just sit around on a forum all day building up your post count Cool

Quote: Lee @ 14th May 2015, 3:09 PM BST

Or just sit around on a forum all day building up your post count Cool

:O

If you went out and got everyone you met to laugh at you and just kept going then eventually you would be bound to meet someone who could help you, wouldn't you? Well..

Console

If you're asking how to break into comedy writing, submit to as many places as possible, and maybe go into freelancing?

I did ask around and I've been told that if you're a brilliant comedian then it will all work out alright in the end..

No worries then..

Whistling nnocently

As you're young, I should perhaps tell you of a very well-known writer of a very well-known sitcom who did a sort of 'guest appearance' at a school and took a fancy to one of the pupils there.

As the pupil was himself a wannabe comedy writer, the established writer was kind enough to befriend him, to exchange correspondence with him, and then to take him along to the BBC and introduce him to various people in positions to further the young man's as-yet-non-existent career.

I believe a series was commissioned almost immediately so it all goes to show that if you're lucky enough to meet influential TV people with kind hearts, there's no end to the professional progress you can make.

Not sure what the moral of this story is. That if influential people identify you as talented, they will help you?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th July 2015, 7:29 AM BST

As you're young, I should perhaps tell you of a very well-known writer of a very well-known sitcom who did a sort of 'guest appearance' at a school and took a fancy to one of the pupils there.

As the pupil was himself a wannabe comedy writer, the established writer was kind enough to befriend him, to exchange correspondence with him, and then to take him along to the BBC and introduce him to various people in positions to further the young man's as-yet-non-existent career.

I believe a series was commissioned almost immediately so it all goes to show that if you're lucky enough to meet influential TV people with kind hearts, there's no end to the professional progress you can make.

It's called grooming.

Ridiculously unlikely in this case.

Quote: BenC @ 4th May 2015, 2:04 PM BST

However, I have no idea where to start.

Maria Von Trapp said it best.

Quote: beaky @ 29th July 2015, 4:44 PM BST

It's called grooming.

Rolf's Cartoon Club all over again?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th July 2015, 10:56 AM BST

Maria Von Trapp said it best.

Rolf's Cartoon Club all over again?

Can you see what it is yet?