Recent stand-up stars whose profiles have lowered

Some might not agree with me on this, but there does seem to have been some stand ups - even recently - who seemed to be everywhere at one point but now ... aren't. I know these guys are still working, but my point is their profiles are far, far lower than they were - and, in some cases, undeservedly.

Shappi Khorsandi
Omid Djalili
Mark Watson
Jo Caulfield
Dave Gorman

and more

Shappi Khorsandi and Jo Caulfield are both competent stand-up comedians but, although both can be moderately amusing on a good night, neither is genuinely funny, largely because they 'recite' their moderately amusing lines for the audience rather than deliver them in a manner than appears natural. Both rose to fame for reasons that were more political than comedic and neither will be missed (by me) in the even that they are never seen again.

The other three have real comedy talent and will surely be seen again.

I enjoy Modern Life Is Goodish and I'd like to see other stuff Gorman has done.

That twat Russell Brand's profile as a comedian has lowered, whilst seeing an increase in his profile as an absolute c**t.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd July 2015, 8:29 AM BST

Shappi Khorsandi and Jo Caulfield are both competent stand-up comedians but, although both can be moderately amusing on a good night, neither is genuinely funny, largely because they 'recite' their moderately amusing lines for the audience rather than deliver them in a manner than appears natural. Both rose to fame for reasons that were more political than comedic and neither will be missed (by me) in the even that they are never seen again.

The other three have real comedy talent and will surely be seen again.

Sexist!

Shappi Khorsandi seems to be cropping up more and more on the likes of QT and political panel shows.

What happened to Alun Cochrane? I thought he was rather funny on panel shows. I even wanted to buy his stand-up DVD... but he still hasn't even released one!

Quote: Agnostik @ 3rd July 2015, 3:05 PM BST

What happened to Alun Cochrane? I thought he was rather funny on panel shows. I even wanted to buy his stand-up DVD... but he still hasn't even released one!

I first saw him as a warm-up for, I think, Karen Taylor.

I think I saw him as a warm up for something too. Maybe Not Going Out.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd July 2015, 7:07 PM BST

I think I saw him as a warm up for something too. Maybe Not Going Out.

Well yes. One or the other.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd July 2015, 8:27 PM BST

Well yes. One or the other.

He's a regular on Frank Skinner's Absolute Radio Show plus he starred in the one series of the then cancelled 'Trying Again.'

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 3rd July 2015, 9:33 AM BST

I enjoy Modern Life Is Goodish and I'd like to see other stuff Gorman has done

Agree: love that show and am looking forward to S3.

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 3rd July 2015, 9:33 AM BST

I enjoy Modern Life Is Goodish and I'd like to see other stuff Gorman has done.

Podcasts for example? Angelic

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd July 2015, 8:29 AM BST

Shappi Khorsandi and Jo Caulfield are both competent stand-up comedians but, although both can be moderately amusing on a good night, neither is genuinely funny,

Rood eye, I found Shappie delivered in all areas, so would love to know why she's not used more. Can't say I've ever see a good comic part for an Iranian women.

It would be good to know why some acts have fall off the radar. I would add Gina Yashere to the list, but that's because she moved to American and became the first black British Act to, well do most things in America. And she also avoided becoming pregnant by Eddy Murphy - bonus.

Shappi's not a comic actress, Nick.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st July 2015, 12:19 PM BST

Shappi's not a comic actress, Nick.

I know, but I reckon she's got potential. What about Lee Mack and Tim Vine in Not Going Out? Excellent stand-ups, but can we call them actors?