Not Safe For Work Page 2

Zawe Ashton is a brilliant actor. Katherine is the complete opposite of Vod in Fresh Meat.

Yep. She's amazing. I think this character is a little more similar to the real her.
I spent way too long thinking about the fact that her hair must be extensions/a wig, since she only just stopped filming as Vod.

What do people make of the bit where Danny puts a sticking plaster on Katherine's hand? Was it a literal manifestation of his 'sticking plaster' approach to problem-solving, or was there some gag I was missing?

I think it was showing that although he's a massive irresponsible asshat, he's not all bad, and can be quite sweet.

You could be right.
It was just interesting that the writer deliberately showed Katherine self-harming with the staples to perhaps demonstrate the depth of her issues, which then nicely set up Danny to hopelessly fail to appreciate the underlying problem, and just use a little plaster...as a metaphor for his general attitude to things. But that seems a bit deep for a show like this, and I feel a bit of a twat to even suggest it.

Ha, no I expect you're right, it was probably that too.

A hugely disappointing second episode.

There wasn't much comedy, but I'm thinking of it more as a drama anyway.

I thought Zawe was great again.

Quote: Nogget @ 4th July 2015, 7:24 AM BST

What do people make of the bit where Danny puts a sticking plaster on Katherine's hand? Was it a literal manifestation of his 'sticking plaster' approach to problem-solving, or was there some gag I was missing?

That's a great reading.

I loved ep 1, some beautiful writing and very strong performances. Ep 2, hmmm. My main problem with comedy drama is that they tend to overdo the drama. By which, I don't mean there aren't enough jokes, but that too many things are ladled on. So, before we knew it, form a rather nice set up in the first show, we had all this big stuff popping up, and it all got revealed so fast it was hard to understand the characters' actions.

The point is, with good actors and a good writer, both of which we have, there's more than enough drama in office politics, and personal clashes, without throwing in dead babies. I'd watch ep 3, though, I may change my mind completely.

Quote: gappy @ 9th July 2015, 10:38 AM BST

too many things are ladled on. So, before we knew it, form a rather nice set up in the first show, we had all this big stuff popping up, and it all got revealed so fast it was hard to understand the characters' actions.

Absolutely. It was strange that those things which were set up so well last week, were not capitalised upon. Three different personalities sharing that flat? We could imagine the possibilities, but nothing came of that. Instead, in the opening scenes we find that Katherine had spent the night in a mysterious stately home, which is intriguing enough, but later it turns out she's just there after a brief, chance encounter; another poor pay-off. As for the tragedy of the baby, it all seemed too soon, so I couldn't sympathise with the character.

The few funny bits were sadly a bit hit and miss, with too many misses, e.g. all that waffle about inventing a time machine, or more of the self-concious funny words I don't like.

Quote: Nogget @ 9th July 2015, 11:37 AM BST

Absolutely. It was strange that those things which were set up so well last week, were not capitalised upon. Three different personalities sharing that flat? We could imagine the possibilities, but nothing came of that. Instead, in the opening scenes we find that Katherine had spent the night in a mysterious stately home, which is intriguing enough, but later it turns out she's just there after a brief, chance encounter; another poor pay-off. As for the tragedy of the baby, it all seemed too soon, so I couldn't sympathise with the character.

The few funny bits were sadly a bit hit and miss, with too many misses, e.g. all that waffle about inventing a time machine, or more of the self-concious funny words I don't like.

It was interesting, but not really funny. I'm not sure about the 42min timeframe too. I do, however, want to find out more about the characters' background.

Did anyone watch the rest of the series? I caught up with the final three episodes last week and thought that they were excellent. It isn't much of a comedy IMHO, but very well-written and enjoyable anyway.

Yep. Bloody loved it.
Did you guess that Jeffries was going to be... Oh, better not. Spoilers.
Ended up loving all the characters, even the ones who seemed utterly unlikeable at first.

Quote: zooo @ 16th August 2015, 9:10 PM BST

Yep. Bloody loved it.
Did you guess that Jeffries was going to be... Oh, better not. Spoilers.
Ended up loving all the characters, even the ones who seemed utterly unlikeable at first.

I guessed that she had something to do with one of the key players, but I wasn't sure of the exact nature of their link. It was really good though - do you think that they'll be a second series, or is it Cucumber all over again?

I think I read that it didn't have huge viewing figures. :( But it did get great reviews, so... who knows.

Really hope they give it a chance and a series 2.