Operation Bedlam

Ladies and gentlemen!! (I guess that covers most of you)

BEHOLD! The new radio play ruining the airways of Coventry, I give to you Operation Bedlam!

A 6 part story of Urbert Charlie, a idiot who get's himself in all sorts of trouble and is the arch enemy of the evil Baron Von Whittaker.

We're currently being broadcasted on 98.6 Hillz FM, a local Coventry charity run radio station. The show's a bit of fun and very raw. Thought some of you may be interested as we've been told it's "very classic British humour." We've also been told to shut the f**k up by the yoga class next to where we record, so mix reviews...

Anyhow, catch up with all the shows at www.operationbedlam.co.uk

Or join us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/OperationBedlam Or twitter: @operationbedlam (We follow back)

Cheers everyone! Glad to be onboard this forum! Wave

Show 1 is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ijp-sFKjI4

We're now a free download from iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/operation-bedlam/id1006614726

Enjoy whimwhackers!

I've listened to a few minutes of a couple of episodes and it's clear that the guys are having a lot of fun making these shows.

If the parts I listened to are a fair reflection of the whole, the problem would appear to be that the scripts overall are not funny enough and there are long waits between the parts that are funny.

The performances are pretty good but these guys desperately need a writer.

Good old fashioned comedy right there. I have to disagree with Rood Eye here and say that I felt that the show was well scripted, and well performed. It reminds me of the stuff I used to listen to with my Granddad back in the day.

One question Rood Eye, how can you make a statement that there are long waits between parts that are funny, when you state that you have only listened to a couple of minutes of each episode?

Quote: Gloomjuice @ 29th June 2015, 12:47 PM BST

One question Rood Eye, how can you make a statement that there are long waits between parts that are funny, when you state that you have only listened to a couple of minutes of each episode?

It's crystal clear at the start of my critique that my views are based upon my personal experience of about two minutes per episode and, on that basis, I can make that quoted statement very easily because it reflects my experience.

Two minutes might be an exceedingly short time to spend in a cupboard with The Pussycat Dolls but it's a very long time indeed when you're listening to a not-very-funny comedy performance.

In my entire life, I've never heard a radio comedy show in which the first two minutes were p*** poor and the rest of the show was any better. If Operation Bedlam is an exception to that rule, it seems I've missed a treat.

Let me stress that it's not my intention to 'slag off' the Operation Bedlam people. They appear to have a lot of potential and seem well-capable of producing some very funny radio shows.

They just need better scripts and tighter editing.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. Each to their own and all that. I enjoy the show and you don't, which is obviously fine as if everyone liked the same thing life would be extremely laborious.

The show definitely becomes more fast paced as the episodes go on, especially episode four which I found extremely funny. They must be doing something right as they are being broadcast, something that a lot of people can only aspire to do.

Out of interest, who are your comedy "heroes" or influences? Do you write or are you just a comedy critic?

Quote: Gloomjuice @ 30th June 2015, 5:09 PM BST

They must be doing something right as they are being broadcast, something that a lot of people can only aspire to do.

That's true of everyone who's ever written for or performed on TV or radio and I think you'll agree that includes a great many people totally unencumbered by talent.

The Operation Bedlam guys do have talent and that's why I've just had a listen to Episode Four.

I lasted 2m 45s this time and I liked everything but the script - which I again thought was very poor.

A joke probably taken from 'Catch 22' (it was certainly in that book) and another most certainly taken from Spike Milligan's memoirs were among the very few decent bits. The rest of it should have been binned long before recording began.

The guys themselves put in a good performance (as they did during my previous listens) and they do themselves a grave disservice by broadcasting stuff like this.

Quote: Gloomjuice @ 30th June 2015, 5:09 PM BST

Out of interest, who are your comedy "heroes" or influences? Do you write or are you just a comedy critic?

My own heroes and influences are many and varied.

As for my writing, I've done a bit over the years and I've not been entirely unsuccessful. Having said that, when it comes to what's funny and what's not, no degree of professional success makes someone's opinion more valuable than that of some bloke down the pub. On that basis, I'll keep my cv to myself.

Sorry I've only just seen this feedback.

The great thing about comedy (and art in general) is that it's total subjective to the individual. Which I think is great. The world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some. And that's absolutely fine.

I do agree that just because we are currently being broadcast (and getting a second series yaaaay) it doesn't make us any better. There's some total shyte currently out on TV and Radio.

I'm glad you got the Spike reference Rood Eye, a deliberate nod to him as in interviews I've named him as a comedy hero. I'm glad you like our performances at least so it's not all doom and gloom. As you've pointed out, we have a great laugh making these shows and that's what it is all about to me. When it stops being fun, I'll stop. We're 4 chaps with f**k all to do on a Monday night so we thought "why not?", and if other people dig the show then cool. But also cool if people don't.

Gloomjuice, thanks for your support. I saw your comment on the introducing thread too and it's ace you are enjoying what we do.

To achieve well-deserved success as comedians, you need three things: the ability to perform (natural talent + training + experience), the will to perform (an absence of laziness, drunkenness, drug addiction and depression) and, of course, good material.

Of the above three qualities, the easiest to get is the good material - because even if you don't create it yourself (eg Bob Hope), it can be bought, borrowed and/or even stolen. The other two qualities are the hard ones because (apart from some training) they cannot be bought. You either have them or you don't.

The only reason I keep adding my two penn'orth to this thread is because Operation Bedlam have so much going for them. They look and sound like a top class comedy act. It's only when you stop and count the funny bits and the unfunny bits that you realise just how many unfunny seconds are included in a show.

The funny stuff isn't necessarily 'jokes' or even 'funny lines'. I noticed some moans and groans and other sounds that were superb.

The unfunny stuff is everything that happens between the funny bits - and there's a lot of it.

If I were them, I'd look at every script and highlight the funny words, phrases and sounds. Then I'd look at the gaps and ask myself why they're there.

Not everyone who listens to your show is in love with you. Not everyone is your mum, your dad, your Aunty Mary or even a friend. Not everyone even likes you. Be very very wary of reviews from people who DO like you (personally).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Operation Bedlam is a good act in many ways but it could be a great act if the dead wood were cut out of the scripts and replaced with stuff that's as good as the existing good stuff.