Steptoe And Son

Steptoe And Son is a 1972 British comedy drama film and a spin-off from the popular British television comedy series of the same name about a pair of rag and bone men. It starred Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H. Corbett as the eponymous characters, Albert and Harold Steptoe respectively. It also features Carolyn Seymour.

During a gentlemen's evening at a local football club, Harold meets one of the acts, a stripper called Zita. After a whirlwind romance the couple are married, although the actual wedding ceremony is delayed when Albert, acting as best man, loses the ring somewhere in the yard. They eventually find it in a pile of horse manure, and since they have no time to clean up their arrival in church is met with looks of disgust.

Harold and Zita fly to Spain for their honeymoon, but Albert refuses to be left behind. This causes Harold considerable frustration and begins to drive a wedge between him and Zita. When they are finally left alone and are beginning to consummate their marriage they are interrupted by Albert's cries of distress from the adjoining room, and discover that he has contracted food poisoning from some of the local cuisine.

Harold is forced to fly home with Albert, leaving Zita in Spain. Back home Albert makes a suspiciously fast recovery while Harold waits for Zita to write. When he finally receives a letter from her, the news is not what he had hoped for; after trying unsuccessfully for several days to get a plane back to England she has taken up with a British holiday rep at the Spanish hotel. Harold is heartbroken, and, despite his earlier scheming to get rid of Zita, Albert is genuinely sympathetic.

On meeting Zita again some months later Harold finds that she is pregnant, and she says Harold is the father. Harold offers to take care of them both, but on returning home Albert makes sure that Zita feels unwelcome and she flees. A short while later a baby appears in the horse's stable. This scene parodies the Nativity, with the Three Wise Men bearing gifts replaced by three tramps selling rags, and the Star of Bethlehem being represented by the lights of an airliner.

It appears that the child is Zita's. They name the child after the priest who officiates the Christening. Unfortunately for Harold, he is also called Albert. Harold compromises by naming him Albert Jeremy and calling him Jeremy thereafter, although Albert Sr. insists on calling him Albert.

Zita apparently returns and takes the baby back while Albert, who should be looking after him, is asleep. Harold tries to find her and comes across her stripping in a local rugby club where she is soon forced into the scrum of cheering rugby players. Attempting to save her, Harold is beaten up and is only rescued when Zita's musician saves him. Hustled into a back room he hears a baby's cries but when he pulls back a curtain a mixed-race baby is there instead. It turns out that Zita and her musician, who is black, are now a couple. Harold then learns that he is not, after all, the father of her first child.

Does anyone else like this spin-off film?

I certainly did.

Me too, I think it is a good spin off from the series.

Well this is on now. Doesn't appear to be in the "Schedule".

You were probably looking at Saturday's schedule page, where the early hours are listed on Friday's, like in listings magazines.

I don't think so. I looked back to Friday.

Anyway the gorgeous Carolyn Seymour from Survivors and Blakes 7 was in it. I only watched about an hour as I was knackered.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd May 2015, 10:37 PM BST

Anyway the gorgeous Carolyn Seymour from Survivors and Blakes 7 was in it. I only watched about an hour as I was knackered.

Not surprised, pulling yourself off looking at her you dirty boy.

Oh yeah. I knew I'd seen her in something else, it was Blake's 7! Travis? Anyway not as good in that as she didn't get her noobs out. Unless there's a collector's episode I haven't seen.

But who was the tranny, because she had a familiar face, like er, Hinge or Bracket maybe?

Really enjoying the series currently on Radio 4 Extra - but a bit puzzled why the audio quality keeps dipping in and out. Anyone know? Most of it is pin-sharp broadcast quality clarity but every so often the quality drops dramatically for a while, then it's back to normal again. At first I assumed the BBC were doing it on purpose to show off their audio technical wizardry skills, having restored the shows. But I'm not sure now. I think I've heard it on other old shows too on 4 Extra, Dad's Army springs to mind.

Do they announce that the shows have been restored? If not, my instinct would be that they haven't done so.

Not that I'm aware of. It's puzzling.

Only a small number have ever been commercially released, so I would guess the other episodes haven't been touched. Possibly not even those ones. A shame really, but Auntie seems to show only limited care for its archive treasures even now.

Were they actually re-recorded for radio or did they just use the soundtrack from TV? If so maybe the sound varies because the characters are moving around.

Adapted and specially re-recorded for radio. Although it wouldn't be wholly impossible for R4 to somehow be broadcasting TV audio tracks.

Quote: Lee Henman @ 13th August 2015, 12:21 PM BST

Really enjoying the series currently on Radio 4 Extra - but a bit puzzled why the audio quality keeps dipping in and out. Anyone know? Most of it is pin-sharp broadcast quality clarity but every so often the quality drops dramatically for a while, then it's back to normal again. At first I assumed the BBC were doing it on purpose to show off their audio technical wizardry skills, having restored the shows. But I'm not sure now. I think I've heard it on other old shows too on 4 Extra, Dad's Army springs to mind.

Wave welcome back Lee. I am enjoying these as well.